FIV CAT _ GROOMING A LOT !!

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
iceprincess402
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

FIV CAT _ GROOMING A LOT !!

Post by iceprincess402 »

Hi all,
I am new and my partner and I recently adopted an FIV cat from a shelter. He has been with us two weeks now. He is 6 and a half years old Australian domestic short hair cross breed.

I have noticed lately that he has been grooming a lot. Today He took some of his hair out and now have a little patch near the belly. Not too big but a pea sized. I checked for fleas and found nothing. I am worried that because of his immune deficiency he might have picked up something. I was wondering would that be potential skin infection problems or just behavioral problems as he is in new environment ( our home) now.

Has anyone ever come across any skin related issues? I am so worried sick :(
Many thanks
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: FIV CAT _ GROOMING A LOT !!

Post by Crewella »

I've not come across this with FIV cats, so suspect that it is behavioural as stress grooming is quite common with nervous felines. I hope he settles down soon. xx
Catkins1234
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Catkins1234 »

Hi

My cat has recently been diagnosed and this was the same reason that I took mine the vet. He has a small pea sized patch on his foot where he has licked it bald and now its really sore. He is really over grooming at the moment and I can't seem to break it :( I have been putting some Vibromycin gel on which soothes but it doesnt help :(
Srousell
New Cat Chatter

Post by Srousell »

Hi there!!
I have a middle aged FIV positive cat. When he first came to me he licked himself pretty much 24/7, had skin irritation, was missing patches of fur, and had skin sores. Since settling down and adjusting to home life (was previously a stray) he’s done remarkably well. He no longer licks himself constantly, his fur has grown back and his sores are all healed. I use a dry food specifically for skin health! Hope your fur baby is okay :)
jaislyn
New Cat Chatter

Post by jaislyn »

Crewella wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:59 pm I've not come across this with FIV cats, so suspect that it is behavioural as stress grooming is quite common with nervous felines. I hope https://bingozap.com settles down soon. xx
My hope also.
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

Just a thought but could it be diet related if he's maybe adjusting to new food or maybe the warmer environment in your home compared to the shelter