FIV and excessive water drinking.

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
hcstymie
New Cat Chatter

FIV and excessive water drinking.

Post by hcstymie » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:03 pm

Does anyone have an FIV cat that drinks an excessive amount of water? Trying to find out if this is common and what it may or may not indicate.

My cat probably drinks as much water as 4 cats. Does pee a lot as a result. I add water to his wet food and he still pauses eating to drink more water. Eats a litte, then drinks more water. Drinks water when he is not eating too. Don't know if this might be something to do with his digestive system or maybe his kidneys. Vet doesn't know what it could be from after giving him an exam. We assume it is related to him being having FIV.

He does have a little bit of bloating of his organs which is typical for an FIV cat. His apatite is also down. Doesn't eat a lot at a time. About 10 yrs. old. Still likes to play and otherwise seams normal.

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: FIV and excessive water drinking.

Post by booktigger » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:15 pm

Has the vet done a blood test to check for kidney issues or diabetes?

bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by bobbys girl » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:03 pm

Not noticed Bob drinking any more that the others - but then he is only four. Gracie slurps a little more than the others, but then there is more of her and it may be a sign that she is pre-diabetic.

As booktigger says I'm surprised the vet hasn't tested for diabetes or kidney problems.

hcstymie
New Cat Chatter

Post by hcstymie » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:55 pm

The vet did a blood test and x-rays. It was a little over a year ago the last time so I forget the details. There were a couple things that were a little high but nothing that would explain his excessive water drinking. The vet does have an excellent reputation.

I do know it is more than an issue of dehydration. When I have had him at the vet overnight he has had the saline IV and was hydrated. Did have access to water although he didn't really drink I think. When he got home he acted as if he hadn't had a drink in days. Spent over an hour going back and forth to the water dish. Hasn't had any issue with being dehydrated when taken to the vet for normal visits. Has been a heavy drinker for as long as I can remember.

bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by bobbys girl » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:09 pm

Very strange that. :?

fatoutandia
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fatoutandia » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:08 am

It's really too strange to read through. I'll gather and share more information regarding this once I get from my vet. Thanks.

Ehrmann
New Cat Chatter

Post by Ehrmann » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:46 am

Mine does this too, literally drinks the entire bowl.