Five or not

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
Villaroma1
New Cat Chatter

Five or not

Post by Villaroma1 »

My 15 yr old cat stopped eating mid week and became very lethargic so took to our vet we were told it was either viral infection or maybe something more sinister we opted for course of antibiotic treatment to bring temp down from 39 quite high
Having been on them nearly a week we were told on last day of antibiotic treatment that the blood test showed a low blood count at this point she had perked up a bit and was now eating albeit small amounts and she was taking interest in things again
However when we got home Friday we noticed blood in her mouth drooling took back to vet confirmed her teeth were the problem and the must operate asap to remove teeth we were told not to giver her food and drink after 8pm and take back in morning for op on teeth!!
We took her back and waited for call to say she had op but instead of this vet rang and said her blood count had dropped to 9 and the cud not do op she was in a serious state and they needed a decision from us What was happening here
We visited vet on Friday to see he but said they cud not let us take her as she was too ill and in it was best to end her suffering I was totally shocked that this had happened so quick and then found out the bloods had been taken before op instead of in the procedure she got very stressed previously with them taking blood it was agreed hey wud do this when doing teeth however this never happened I told them she wanted tests. Done before I was prepared to let her go she was admitted to a hospital and we took her
However she remained stable until early hrs before she deteriorated it was too late we had to Pts we are in shock at what has happened and cannot come to terms with it from her going off her eating within a week she was dead how can that happen
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Five or not

Post by bobbys girl »

I am very sorry to hear about your cat. It must have been a shock for you.

Why do you think it was FIV? Had she had any problems in the past? Had she had bloods taken in the past?

15 is a good age for a cat. Maybe it was heart problems or something else age-related. Whatever it was, I hope you are not blaming yourself. These things can hit out of the blue.

Sad, very sad.
Villaroma1
New Cat Chatter

Post by Villaroma1 »

Bobbys girl
Many thanks for replying
My cat had never had health problems and in fact this was the first time visited vets
I am blaming myself because at first vet said we cud try antibiotics and hopefully it would clear up or we cud go for the full lot X-rays etc I opted for antis
Bearing in mind they had taken blood count and had done it twice because she couldn't understand the first result?
Them was high so hopefully antis wud bring down if it didn't bring temp down then cud be more sinister
However on Thursday we went back to vet for final antibiotic jab and was told temp nearly normal? cat was also a bit brighter however tooth bleeding and so they said it wud be best to bring her in Friday for dental op
However from us taking her in Friday morning all this happened whilst in their care and it has made me wonder if the blood test they took pushed her over the edge
My mind keeps turning and turning
I have decided to make appointment at vets and ask all my doubting questions in order to get some clarity and piece of mind
Villaroma1
New Cat Chatter

Post by Villaroma1 »

Also we had to admit her to hospital on Friday when they said she was in a bad way now anaemic. Gums very pale said she wud not make it thro the night. She was walking around night before at home !,
In total hosp bill came to four hundred pound and blood tests three hundred and we still no wiser what she died from all I know is that we saw her in hosp gasping for breath and we had to put an end to her suffering
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

That's awful! Hope you get some answers and closure on this. Really, really hope it's not a cxxk-up at the vets? :shock: