Any suggestions for dermatitis treatment...Greatly appreciated!

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
kharllee
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Any suggestions for dermatitis treatment...Greatly appreciated!

Post by kharllee »

My beautiful maine coon, Chester is suffering miserably from dermatitis. He is 5 years old and has had FIV since birth. It started last year when he began licking his belly hair. That spread to the inner part of his legs and base of his tail. He is now losing hair on the back his neck and head. I have had him at the vet 3 times in the last year for treatment. He gave Chester a steroid shot the first visit and antihistamines that last 2. My vet does not want to give him steroids again because it will compromise his liver. I've tried Jackson Galaxy Obsession Solution and Skin Soother. I have also changed his food and litter. I even gave him an oatmeal bath today...which was rather unpleasant for both of us! Cheste is mostly indoors, except for time on our back porch. We do have a dog who has been checked for mites, etc. Has anyone else had this issue? I would love to find a holistic treatment. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Any suggestions for dermatitis treatment...Greatly appreciated!

Post by Lilith »

Hi Kharllee and welcome :)

I've heard excellent reports of homeopathy in cases of dermatitis, and there are homeopathic vets; also some conventional surgeries offer alternative therapies.

All the very very best with him :)
kharllee
New Cat Chatter

Post by kharllee »

Thank you Lilth! Unfortunately, we do not have a homeopathic vet in our area. Do you know what kind of treatments were shown to be successful for dermatitis?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I'm not an expert, but the oral treatments are discussed here -

https://www.britishhomeopathic.org/char ... t-on-skin/

Animal and human treatments are the same.

I wonder though if it might be worth googling around for a homeopathic forum to find out more, as, although I have used homeopathic treatments and once (in the 1980s) bought them from a vet (not local, we talked over the phone) I'm really not qualified to advise you about homeopathy. I do wish I could help you more.

This is a shot in the dark but perhaps it might be worth contacting a local homeopath who might be able to advise you further or even know of a homeopath who does work with animals.

Again, I wish I could help more, and wish you and Chester all the best :)
Gypsy
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Gypsy »

Hi, I have a little girl also fiv from birth. She's 3 in march. She had no skin issues at all but suffered from stomatitis right from the start. Unfortunately we went against my better judgment and let a vet give her a radical treatment of cortisone, antibiotic and penicillin shots all in one followed up again 2 days later then 2 weeks later. Yes it helped her mouth but totally crashed her immune system. She ended up having the full mouth extraction on October 3rd anyway. Just after all the shots she lost huge chunks of hair off her lower back but they weren't itchy and went away but she then started scratching her ears, they were red and bumpy. Well it just went crazy. She scratched so much skin off and her back and face were were a mess. I tried everything. Yes I went to the vets yet again and again and just kept handing over hundreds of dollars for no results. I tried so many things from colloidal silver to coconut oil. Anyway long story short you can't fix it. I manage it. This is what I do. I bath her every 5 days with a cat oatmeal shampoo plus a medicated one that's an antibacterial and anti fungal plus I put in some of a medical grade manuka honey shampoo for pets. Yes you need to use all 3. Also I bought a good supply of cotton pet tshirts and soft e collars. She wears them dayly. She has diazepam every night ( 1/4 of a 5mg tablet) I crush it and mix it with a few drops of colloidal silver and active manuka honey. She also gets kitten replacement formula and royal canin babycat mousse and babycat biscuits. Now the thing is demodex mites. You must use advocate treatment not revolution. I've been treating her with a half dose once a week for the last 4 weeks, I have 1 to go. Demodex mites are microscopic and live without any problems on most cats but cause major itching in fiv cats. So after doing the 5 weeks of half dose treatment you have to keep doing it monthly. Unfortunately we can't fix it only manage it. They are in last stage FIV.