Pain meds for FIV

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
Catkins1234
Returning Cat Chatter

Pain meds for FIV

Post by Catkins1234 »

Hi all

I have just found out my cat has fiv, bit of a blow as he is an indoor cat but looks like he got it when he was in the rescue 2 years ago so is in the 3rd stage now. I wondered if anyone's cat has similar symptoms as I am struggling to find anything online and the vet hasn't seen it. He is only 5 years old and was in the shelter from birth until 2 years ago.

He is constantly laying down and has pain in the legs. His lymph nodes are enlarged so could be the cause but he falls down after standing rather than sitting down. He can sit but it's very slowly and prefers to 'flump' down. Sometimes he sleeps in his box for 14-18 hours at a time which is really upsetting.

The vet has him on metacam but I want to try something stronger as he has been like this for 3 months now. We are moving vets and meeting with a new vet tomorrow who is more proactive with FIV. He otherwise seems fine in himself, he will have a little play whilst lying down etc. He eats well and always gets up to eat (mostly I take it to him).

I have started to question the quality of life but as he's not losing weight, enjoying food, keeping himself clean and tidy with grooming and still has a lovely gloss to his coat I feel with proper pain management we may have improvement.

Can any one advise what pain meds you have your cats on that are helpful. I suppose I am leaning more towards morphine based but then I do question this long term.

Thanks
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Pain meds for FIV

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Catkins and welcome to CC. I must admit I am not sure how to answer your question. :?

My FIV boy Bob will be five in May. We found out his status when he was one, but the vet thinks he had it from birth. Apart from him having to have strong AB's for a couple of minor cuts, you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with him.

I have not heard of there being any time 'constraints' (can't think of the right word) ie - after so long this or that will happen.

FIV is a problem with the immune system. I'd get the new vet to do a full check to find out the problem and not just blame the FIV. There may be some treatments the first vet has not considered

I hope this makes sense. Please keep in touch.
Catkins1234
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Catkins1234 »

HI

Thanks for your reply reply. Yes, this is the same thing I am thinking and I can’t help but think there is another medical problem causing this lethargy and pain, hence the move to another vet. He’s gone from being really active to not loving over a 3 monrh period. Had X-rays, blood tests done and nothing is showing so I expect it is viral or bacterial perhaps (just hoping it’s nothing worse).

I will speak with the vet tomorrow and see what he thinks. He’s never been 100% healthy but never been like this before. It’s like he no longer exists. It’s awful :(
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Our old vets were willing to give up at the start. The ones we started going to were better - but they know how to charge!!

Recently the old vets has changed hands and a new crew is in there. We take the kittens to them.

Hope you get some positive answers soon.
Catkins1234
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Catkins1234 »

Same with my boy. The initial vet totally dismissed him 'FIV, nothing to be done' - just like that. Very sad really. The new vet is very expensive also and I nearly had a heart attack when I got the bill last time LOL