FIV and severe anaemia

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
CarolAnnSharratt
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

FIV and severe anaemia

Post by CarolAnnSharratt »

Our FIV cat Cyril has gone rapidly downhill over approx 10 days - lethargic and not particularly hungry. For the first couple of days we thought it may have been the weather but decided to take him to the vet for a check up. He had blood tests and was severely anaemic and no signs of any regeneration of blood cells. A reading of 8 which the vet suggested was a bleak prognosis. We decided to try a transfusion to give him a chance and buy a bit of time. He had the transfusion and has been down at the vets today for xrays and ultrasound (the vet felt this was not going to achieve anything but respected our wishes) Nothing particularly significant has shown up but his blood transfusion has had no impact on his red blood cell count and it is lower still. Cyril came to us from a rescue with an estimated age of 4 or 5 and if that was correct he approximately 7 although he could certainly be older. I don't imagine, after spending hours on the internet there will be any miracle out there but if anyone does have any thoughts - they would be welcome. (Support from Barbara and Bob at catworks has been good)
Jane

Re: FIV and severe anaemia

Post by Jane »

Hi, so sorry about your cat. I’ve copied this post to the Health & Behaviour section as not everyone reads all sections, and I do hope Cyril has improved.
CarolAnnSharratt
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: FIV and severe anaemia

Post by CarolAnnSharratt »

Thanks Jane, Sadly Cyril is not eating anything much now - nothing significant showed on the xrays or ultrasound - it seems as though the FIV, in this case is the cause of the anaemia.