Aggression

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
TaniaR
New Cat Chatter

Aggression

Post by TaniaR »

I rescued a FIV tomcat 6 weeks ago, he's 3 years old and was diagnosed with FIV by the rescue center. First couple of weeks he was with me he was really affectionate - slept on my bed and really cuddly. Unfortunately the next 4 weeks he has become progressively more play aggressive and less cuddly. I have suffered a lot of pounce attacks on legs. I include scheduled play (using laser toys, hiding toys, feeder toys, rotating toys so he has something new to play with) - I use the freeze trick when he pounces but he will just often pause and re-attack more to get a reaction. He has become more demanding of treats /food too. I have feliway diffusers in the rooms and have switched him to royal canin calm food to try to mellow him out a little. I am really failing him and am at a loss what else I can do to make being indoors better for him and safer for me.
Any advice much appreciated xx
Ps I have had indoor cats previously but all from kittens and none showed this type of aggression at this age.
Cat-FAQ
Cat Chat Adviser

Re: Aggression

Post by Cat-FAQ »

The following link on the main Cat Chat site might be useful for you, if you haven’t already seen them:

https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-b ... aggression

Also, our FIV information page may be useful to you too,
https://www.catchat.org/index.php/fiv

Hope that helps.
Eileen-N
TaniaR
New Cat Chatter

Post by TaniaR »

Thank you for the links - very helpful. I had read those and others related to handling play aggression before posting but it was lovely of you to take the time to point me at them just in case I had missed them.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

Pippin got like this when he was around 9 months old. I adopted him with his brother Mallow, and one Sunday morning Mallow vanished, never to be seen again. Pippin was desperate for a playmate and his play attacking got ferocious over the next weeks, but settled down immediately he had Tilly to play with and look after. Your cat is older, of course, but perhaps he too is used to having other cats around? If so, and if it is feasible to take on a second cat, it may be worth exploring.
TaniaR
New Cat Chatter

Post by TaniaR »

I am glad you found Pippin a playmate and it solved the problem for you. I did wonder about whether a cat friend would be the answer for him but the cat rescue place has his notes as not getting on with other cats or dogs so I am scared to try it. He is a lovely cat when he is calm.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

It does sound as if another cat is not the solution for you. I would try lots of more vigorous play, redirecting him when he pounces. Fishing line toys, chasing toys - perhaps even clicker training him to retrieve and do tricks. The devil finds prey for idle paws...