FIV POSITIVE CAT VOMITING

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
ChloeHamilton
New Cat Chatter

FIV POSITIVE CAT VOMITING

Post by ChloeHamilton »

Hello all,

We’ve recently adopted a FIV positive cat from a rescue centre. The only symptoms he had was he was occasionally sick/vomiting. He’s recently been vomiting more, 3/4 times this week, 1 hour to 4 hours after his breakfast (we know it’s not his food), then he immediately perks up after and seems fine.
We’re taking him to the vet this week but the vet said it’s not urgent and we have to wait until Friday for an appointment.

Is the vomiting normal? Is it a sign he’s getting worse? Is there anything we can do to make him feel better? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)
angelaj
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: FIV POSITIVE CAT VOMITING

Post by angelaj »

Hi

I have no experience of FIV cats; and I hope one of the other members who does is along soon to give you more advice. What I do have experience of is a cat who is sometimes sick after eating, with it not being attributed to one food or treat or a hairball. My lad hasn't been sick for months and months now and all I did was raise his food off the floor; his dinner is "served" on a 6 inch tall flower pot and the same with his biscuits. My lad has a history of sensitive stomach, he is an older boy now (almost 20) and he can also be a bit of a gutbag in that he eats too quickly, but his food being raised works for him and may be worth trying with your cat.

Having said that, if you are not happy with him, I would say go with your gut and try to get him seen earlier; it might be worth speaking to the rescue in case their vet can see him sooner?

I hope you get some answers soon.
MooBag
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MooBag »

Hi Chloe,

Having had several FIV positive cats, I think this is very unlikely to be related to his FIV status.

I agree with Angela's advice as it could be that he is just eating too quickly. Or, maybe just eating too much at once, and so it doesn't stay down for long. You could try giving smaller meals for a bit and see if that helps.

Or as he is recently rescued, perhaps the food he gets now is different or richer than the food he had when in rescue? Simply a change of food could cause this if his stomach isn't used to a variety of foods. It would be worth checking with the rescue as to what food he had there, and go back to feeding that for a bit, and introducing new foods gradually.

As long as he is drinking, weeing and pooing OK, and he seems fine after being sick it doesn't sound like an emergency, but again as Angela says, if you are worried or the vomiting gets more frequent, then see if you can get the appointment brought forward.

Good luck!
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

I agree with Moobag that's it's more likely to be rich food than FIV if everything else is fine. My FIV+ boy had intractable gut problems from the day I took him in - he couldn't digest his food properly and his poops were just slush. The only times he threw up were if the food was too rich, or too much - having been a long term stray he would chomp down everything with gusto. We had him on a special sensitivity diet and no sickness at all. However, sadly for him the poops never completely sorted out and he developed pancreatitis that he could not recover from. If your boy is pooping normally (according to my vet the poops are good health markers) and is otherwise happy and lively then it's likely not too serious and can wait until the vet appointment. Try giving him some plainer food in the interim. Hope all is well!
ChloeHamilton
New Cat Chatter

Post by ChloeHamilton »

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your replies. The sickness has now stopped however it will probably be on and off.
Vet appointment went well today, he’s a very healthy happy cat and the vet has no concerns about his health or what we doing for him! Phew!!
We’re going to start him on a higher quality food for a sensitive tummy. He’s still eating, drinking and going to the toilet regularly.

Thanks again! Love to all your cats!

From Chloe and Stanley (cat)
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

That’s really good news - as we suspected! Yes, I think the careful diet is a really good idea. I had 9 cats at the time, so it was very hard to try and ensure that my boy did not eat other cat’s food (especially as he loved it) and I didn’t know he was FIV+ until he developed pancreatitis. As you know what you’re dealing with as regards your boy, you have every chance of keeping him well and giving him a long happy life with you! X