New adoption FIV?

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
Cora4
New Cat Chatter

New adoption FIV?

Post by Cora4 »

So I've done a bit of searching on FIV. The official word seems alarming. But anecdotal accounts and facts behind the "official" view of the disease discount a lot of the fear.

I'm considering a kitty at a nearby shelter. 2yrs old faded tortie. She's cute and completely shy, been there since May. Partly due to her shyness, partly to her FIV. When she goes to the visiting room, she meows at the door and ignores visitors. But if her little Tupperware box is brought with her, she relaxed and is so very sweet inside her tiny box if given a little time. (Her backgrounds is unknown as she was picked up at a stray)

I'm on disability, and lifetime cost may be an issue. I just lost my 19yr old kitty a short while ago. I really like this kitty "Kate", and after reading testimonials I think I may get her anyway.

I told my aide about her, but she nearly freaked saying her stepson has HIV, oh how $$$ and difficult. But from what I understand, FIV is like HIVs tiny, weak cousin. Most cats outlive the virus itself. Regular kidney, heart disease, and diabetes issues are probably more prevalent?

If I get her, she'll be an indoor kitty. I'm already used to washing my hands and buying top shelf food for my last kitty, "Precious". Vet bills I can manage, but I don't want them getting out of hand.

Any advice for a prospective FIV owner? I'm hoping as long as I limit contagion vectors, I might enjoy a healthy kitty?
Angie-J
Site Admin
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New adoption FIV?

Post by Angie-J »

Hello

Thank you for thinking about an FIV+ kitty.

There is lots of information on the CatChat FIV page: https://www.catchat.org/index.php/fiv and I am sure some of the boards FIV owners will be along with more advice.
Cora4
New Cat Chatter

Post by Cora4 »

I did read through the above link. Answered a lot of standing questions. I guess the take-aways are things like low stress, good food, supplements, regular veterinary visits.

Has anyone found interfuron alpha to be necessary? Found out suggested on some vet sites. Sounds like a healthy FIV+ cat can remain pretty healthy with good care
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Hi, thought you would have had more replies tbh but the forum seems ever so quiet these last few days.

I have no experience with FIV and I can't tell you anything you can't find by googling, but I do know it isn't HIV.

I do believe cats choose us and once you have fallen in love with Kate if your head settles on someone else your heart will always wonder if you did the right thing. Totally understand what you're saying about costs but let me share this with you to put it into perspective.

My two - one posh pedigree retired stud, great healthy lines, tested for everything all through his life and the very best foods, diagnosed at 13 with very low level renal issues, then a year of relative peace with just some occasional digestive issues, and then the final year back and forth to the vets with some unidentified gut problem plus possible hyperthyroid. Other common moggy, robust and healthy, routine bloods revealed hyperthyroid, possible liver issue, and chronic squits. Both indoor, uninsured. Total cost to date, between £5,500 and £6,000 in two years. That's without FIV. If they had been insured just £2,400 of this would have been covered

Previous cats haven't cost me £1000 each in their lifetimes into their mid teens, not even the one with skin cancer, and one who is 22 and counting has never seen a vet in over a decade. So much is the luck of the draw and genetics. You could spend very little on this girl who has already captured your heart, or go bankrupt over a five star health rated well cared for adoptee. Go with your heart.