ADVICE NEEDED ASAP - FIV CAT WITH COLD

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
LaurenRouse
New Cat Chatter

ADVICE NEEDED ASAP - FIV CAT WITH COLD

Post by LaurenRouse »

Hello all!

So, yesterday, during a trip to the pound with a friend, I became the proud Mum of a two year old FIV+ boy. Neutered, and the loveliest temperament.
Whilst going through his adoption paperwork, they made it known to me that my boy is currently on antibiotics for a URI (Upper Respiratory Infection), caught at the pound. They explained to me (in a way that seemed I didn't have alot to worry about) that I needed to give him this medication each morning for the next 3 days, and that should suffice. But... I get him and myself home, and start to do my research, and I have REALLY started to panic. Because, I didn't realize until doing some reading that a URI can kill even a healthy cat.....But being as immunocompromised as my little poppet is, I feel I was duped by the overstuffed pound into taking home a cat that is probably going to die from this common cold. He is sniffly, sneezes a decent amount, and sounds a little wheezy, but otherwise took to my home like a CHAMP and ate his kibble like a maniac. He is responsive, and cuddly. Gets up to explore, but seems to tire quickly. So he is sick, but doesn't seem to be dying from his illness, outright. He is however, drinking water like he's never had a drink before, which from reading other FIV forums can suggest he has kidney issues. My question is this: HAS ANYONE OWNED AN FIV CAT THAT HAS SURVIVED THEIR URI? If so, can you tell me what you did to get him through it? His recovery time? Does it reoccur for him? I can't bear the thought of having this little man pass away on me. I have called my vet already this morning to get him in this week, but I am FREAKING out that despite my best efforts, this cold is a death sentence for him, and I didn't even know it. PLEASE someone shed some insight. I am crushed. Thank you in advance
Angie-J
Site Admin
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: ADVICE NEEDED ASAP - FIV CAT WITH COLD

Post by Angie-J »

Hello

I think a vet visit to check him over now that he is with you would be a sensible first step. Many issues with FIV+ cats can be managed with early intervention.

There is more information that may help on Cat Chat's FIV page: https://www.catchat.org/index.php/fiv

I hope you and your boy have a happy life together.
Fat Cat Lawyer
New Cat Chatter

Post by Fat Cat Lawyer »

I had this exact experience yesterday. We adopted a lovely 4-5 year old orange tabby. Didn't know a ton about FIV but was led to believe it was not a big deal but now that he is home we see that he has a runny nose and a little wheeze. I really feel misled but I LOVE this cat and am committed to making life good for him. Are they still able to kick colds?
Ginnyt
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Ginnyt »

Your vet can give him a liquid antibiotic and you can supplement with Imuquin for cats and frozen raw goats milk( I use one made by primal)