So sad

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
tracie79
New Cat Chatter

So sad

Post by tracie79 »

Hello all,

I am hoping I can connect with other FIV cat owners who can offer any advice.

9 years ago my son found a kitten walking stray. We ended up feeding and offering a forever home and he really has become part of the family.

He's never had a good coat and he hasn't ever shown interest in grooming himself. Around 4 years ago he developed pain when eating and had a terrible smell coming from his mouth. Over the next 2 years he lost all but 2 teeth. His VET diagnosed him of stomatitis. He questioned if our cat could perhaps have FIV so I agreed to pay for the test, sadly it came back positive.

2 weeks ago a cat came in to our garden and bit his tail which resulted in a trip to the vets. The VET noticed his breathing wasn't great, he had a high temp and she heard a heart murmur. She arranged to run a panel of bloods and to my devestation, the bloods show he is the terminal FIV phase. The bloods have shown his white cells have been depleted and he is anemic.

Antibiotics have been prescribed but the VET feels any FIV treatment would bring no benefit. Is there any cat owners with FIV that can offer any advice please?
Lisa-D
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: So sad

Post by Lisa-D »

Hi,

I've moved your question over to the FIV Questions & Answers section, where you can hopefully connect with other owners of FIV-positive cats.

Lisa
Forum Admin
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: So sad

Post by susand »

Hi Tracie,

So sorry to hear about your puss. As far as I’m aware there is no treatment for FIV, although various things can be tried to alleviate symptoms in the short term. This won’t work for that long though, if at all. My advice would be to be guided by your vet. If you feel you want a second opinion, you can take your cat to another vet but it sounds like someone is going to need to see the cat and his blood results to give an informed opinion.