Helping my FIV+ Cat to heal

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
AnnaMaria3
New Cat Chatter

Helping my FIV+ Cat to heal

Post by AnnaMaria3 »

We adopted our cat from a family who was moving out of the country. They rescued her from outside.
They told us about a spot on her paw pad that she always got at and would make bleed. Fast forward to 2 years after us having her, the paw problem got worse. Found she gas FIV and it just was never healing. They did exploratory surgery and found that toe bone to be severely damaged and amputated the toe. They also removed a cyst from her shoulder. 2 weeks have passed and it hasn’t healed AT ALL. It’s like she just got out of surgery. She’s going back into surgery in the morning to get it all cleaned out and stitches back in both wounds as the paw ones popped open.
We can not love this cat more. She is the most amazing cat we have ever owned. How to we help her get through this? It’s so hard watching her even though she is such a troooer!
Keroascrazy
New Cat Chatter

Re: Helping my FIV+ Cat to heal

Post by Keroascrazy »

Goodness, that sounds super stressful! I am not entirely sure what you'd be able to do to help her heal short of keeping her comfortable and making sure she doesn't agitate her stitches. But cats are going to cat.
I hope you're able to find a way to help kitty heal, maybe extra antibiotics if thats a possibility?
Riccardo
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Helping my FIV+ Cat to heal

Post by Riccardo »

Hi, how's your cat doing?

Don't let FIV scare you too much. My friend Alain was diagnosed with FIV when he was nine and went on to live a healthy life until he was almost twenty. He died of kidney failure. On my part I made sure he had a heathy and balanced diet, periodically boosting his immune system with vitamins and homeopathy.