FIV Testing?

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
ChonairJazz
Frequent Cat Chatter

FIV Testing?

Post by ChonairJazz »

Sorry if this is a really stupid question! How do you get a cat checked for FIV/FELV? Is it a test you specifically have to ask for or do vets routinely check cats for FIV as part of their basic health check?

We have a previously indoor/outdoor cat who adopted us as a stray a few years ago. He is unneutered (at the moment) and a known fighter. Vet did a basic health check on him ages ago but we forgot to ask for a FIV/FELV test. What are the chances he might have FIV or FELV? How worried should we be? Could we get him tested for it at his usual health check (upcoming) or would we have to book him in for that separately?

Thanks!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: FIV Testing?

Post by fjm »

I would ask your vet. The test requires blood to be taken and analysed, which is not usually part of a basic health check. Depending on the age of your cat, and the depths of your wallet, it may be worth checking for early signs of other common issues like hyperthyroidism and declining kidney function at the same time. Both are common conditions in older cats, and respond well to treatment if caught early.
ChonairJazz
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by ChonairJazz »

fjm wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:48 pm I would ask your vet. The test requires blood to be taken and analysed, which is not usually part of a basic health check. Depending on the age of your cat, and the depths of your wallet, it may be worth checking for early signs of other common issues like hyperthyroidism and declining kidney function at the same time. Both are common conditions in older cats, and respond well to treatment if caught early.
Thank you! I don't think he was checked for FIV/FELV in that case. Apparently it was a basic check. We have no idea really how old he is, he came to us as a mature adult with a ripped ear, he didn't look young, and he's been with us about 5 or 6 years so we reckon he's somewhere between 12 and 14, although he might be older than that. Definitely will consider getting him checked for those other things too, any idea how much those normally cost? I think we can probably afford to get him checked for those too, it's worth it I think to know now rather than later.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

A lot depends on the individual vet. Mine does an in-house broad panel test for £70 with results in 20 minutes so depending what we're looking for we can wait there for the results. This is a basic screen for all the major issues with the main systems including thyroid and kidneys, I don't even know the full spectrum of what it can flag up but it's a pretty comprehensive basic healthcheck for all systems. It doesn't check for specifics like FIV.
ChonairJazz
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by ChonairJazz »

Hi Mollycat. Thank you again, we are waiting for lockdown to end at the moment and then we will get him along for a health check as soon as possible. Will see if we can get him checked for thyroid and kidney function too. So do we just ask for a comprehensive health test to look for everything and then add that we'd like him FIV/FELV checked as well?

Thanks.