Advice re. adopting elderly cat with FIV

FIV Cats Needing Homes & Homes Offered
Suzi A
New Cat Chatter

Advice re. adopting elderly cat with FIV

Post by Suzi A » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:44 am

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can give me advice about adopting a cat with FIV. I am thinking about adopting a cat with FIV who is 11 from our local centre. My last cat was adopted by us at the age of 10, and she developed high blood pressure, hyperthyroid and kidney failure - but her five years with us were lovely and I felt pleased that we had given her a good retirement - so I am not afriad of taking on an older cat who might ned regular check-ups. However, I am concerned about paying for this cat's treatment if he does get ill, as I know from experience how expensive this can be. I have enquired with Pet Plan but they basically said any conditions related to FIV will not be covered, only accidents.

I guess I want to know if there are any solutions to the expense? I really hate to see this cat at the homing centre for months on end, and I know FIV cats can live just as healthily as others, but he is already 11 and while I have some spare cash available, we are also currently renovating a house so the money would also be needed elsewhere and I don't want to take on a cat I can't look after. I would be grateful for any thoughts!

Thank you!

moira
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 16

Re: Advice re. adopting elderly cat with FIV

Post by moira » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:41 pm

I don't think his FIV status is the issue. It is his age and, as with any elderly cat, the likelihood that he will need vet care in the near to medium term future. If you are not in a position to take this on I would, reluctantly, say not to adopt him.

Having said this, many rescues will stand rescue back up for elderly cats. Could you ask the rescue he is with if they would be prepared to cover any future vet bills?

Dewinter
New Cat Chatter

Post by Dewinter » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:12 pm

It will cost you money, they are more sensitive to infections etc. we take our cat to the vet every few months and spend around £50 per visit. Nothing we can do about that but if it means that my boy is sorted I don't care!

If you are prepared to spend the money go ahead and adopt!

Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Kay » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:30 pm

I think it does you great credit to consider this lad

I don't know whether you could consider what I have done, once two of mine became too old to insure at a sensible price - I have taken out a new credit card which I intend to use only for any vet bills I can't afford to pay up front for in the future - I may never have to use it, but it's there in case I do

jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by jillyvillyvoo » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:27 pm

That's a really good idea kay, I'm going to do just that!