Looking to adopt a female FIV+ cat

FIV Cats Needing Homes & Homes Offered
Pip81
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Looking to adopt a female FIV+ cat

Post by Pip81 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:42 am

Hi

Up until recently, we had 3 indoor (FIV+) cats, 1 female and 2 males. Unfortunately, we've lost 2 of them in quick succession. Firstly our boy who had a tumour in his kidney and then our female died suddenly and unexpectedly. She was only 3 years old and the vet believes it was her heart.

This now leaves us with Bruce, a 5/6 year old boy who is very friendly and seems quite lonely on his own. He was introduced to our other 2 so has never lived with us without companions. He’s not aggressive and seems to enjoy the company of other cats.

We are trying to find somewhere that has a female FIV+ cat for adoption and we're struggling.

We won't be in a position to adopt now until after the 30th October due to a work trip, but I thought I would start looking now as I know female cats with FIV are much harder to come across.

We're visiting a male FIV+ cat this week, and because we volunteer for the charity, we can have him stay with us on a trial period, to see how he gets on with Bruce. I'm sure Bruce will be fine, it depends how the new boy reacts. We would like to have 3 cats again eventually, but I'm thinking that 3 males may be too much, which is why I'm still trying to find somewhere with a female, we're based in Nottingham but more than willing to travel if the right cat becomes available.

Is anybody aware of any female FIV+ cats looking for a home please? I've mailed several rescues and had no luck so far.
Thanks
Pip

bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Looking to adopt a female FIV+ cat

Post by bobbys girl » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:05 am

As mummy to a FIV+ boy I wish you all the best in your search.

Pip81
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Pip81 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:54 am

Thank you bobbys girl.

We're visiting an FIV+ boy tomorrow night with the aim to trial him at the end of October to see if he gets on with my boy. Then this morning I've received an email from a rescue saying they have 2 FIV+ females for adoption. 4 months old (black and white).....we have some big decisions to make.

I didn't expect to find a female so soon, never mind two of them, and we can't split them so it's both or neither. xx

bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:46 am

That's good news. After hearing the news about Helen's Greebo, I gave Bobby an extra special cuddle last night.

I know Greebo had been through so much and was much older than Bob, but when they are FIV+ you do worry more. But then watching him bounce around and wolf down his tea, he looks so fit and 'normal', and so he is! :)

However it goes (realising you may end up a FOUR cat family) I wish you all good health and happiness. Let us know your decision - and POST PHOTOS! :D

SO RVN
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by SO RVN » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:21 am

How did you get on meeting the male? What did you guys decide to do?

Pip81
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Pip81 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:34 am

We go to meet George tonight, he's a gorgeous tabby and white boy with hardly any teeth. I can't wait to meet him, he's definitely coming home with us at the end of October....I just hope they get along!

I spoke to a lovely lady about the 2 kittens and she's going to phone me back next week as they have re-tested both of them as there's a good chance the snap tests were giving a false positive result.

If they come back as positive, we've decided to go for it and become a 4 cat family :D

If they are negative then we'll just continue our search for a female, I know the right cat will come up.

FIV+ cats are just so special, and they always seem so grateful.....I suppose most of them have had a rough time of it so are just content to finally be loved. We've said we'll only ever adopt FIV cats now as they need it more and it's a great feeling to give a home to hard to adopt cat. They really are healthy and normal....we've lost 3 of them now and none of them were due to FIV related illnesses....it would have happened FIV or not.

I will definitely post photos when we have them. :)

bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:49 am

Looking forward to seeing the photos! Best wishes.

jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by jillyvillyvoo » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:10 am

Aw such a lovely story! We took on our first fiv+ boy a few months ago, he was a stray but has settled well and our other cat doesn't bother much with him so they just get along fine. So hope you become a 4 cat family, keep us posted and good luck

Pip81
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Pip81 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:49 pm

Hi all, I just wanted to let you know that it's official....this weekend we will become a 4 cat household. We must be bonkers!

The kittens were retested and they are definitely FIV+, they are absolutely gorgeous :D

We pick up George, the male FIV+, on Friday night and then we collect the kittens first thing on Saturday. I will post photos once I have them.

Now just have to decide on names. So excited!!

bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:43 pm

Good for you! Keep us posted - when you find the time. :lol:

jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by jillyvillyvoo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:56 pm

Aw great, can't wait to see the pictures and find out what you named them x