RSPCA put down FIV cat

FIV Cats Needing Homes & Homes Offered
opalfruit
Frequent Cat Chatter

RSPCA put down FIV cat

Post by opalfruit » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:58 am

Took a friend's injured cat the vet for him. He had the cat but the cat had become increasingly outdoors - kept coming back with injuries. One day he came back with a very bad injury to his face so my friend wanted to do something about it. Not sure why he didn't take proper ownership for the cat, probably expenses - poor excuse I know, but an unfortunate series of events then occurred. He had spoken to the RSPCA two days prior and they had said take him to this particular vet and the costs would be covered, after which time, they would take him and treat him at the animal hospital and then re-home him. Vet was brilliant - clipped area, gave antibiotics and said the cat was lovely and would recover. RSPCA Frankly (B'ham) didn't turn up for 2 days so vet kept him for that period as he needed veterinary care and treatment. Everyone at the vet loved the friendly cat. I rang RSPCA twice to find out progress of cat. First time they said he is on standby for an operation and would then be re-homed. I left my number and asked them to call me with an update. No call. Few days later I checked again, they said cat had been found to have FIV and was put down. I was shocked. What was the big rush and why was I not told? I specifically asked them to contact me to let me know what would happen to the cat. Cat was only 3 years old and was strong and otherwise in good health. Vet had shown me his teeth, his skin and told me he'd recover. We wanted to help and get treatment for the cat, not for him to be euthanased. Because they are called 'animal hospital' and 'animal sanctuary', we really believed he would be treated and kept there to make a recovery. Since finding this out they put him down, I have been rather shocked. I read this artlcle https://www.catchat.org/index.php/fiv and learned that he did not need to die. I have seen the FIV community and spoken to 2 other shelters who said they could have taken him, and that cats can have a long life even with FIV, if kept indoors or housed with other FIV cats. The vet, my friend and I feel misled by the RSPCA. If we knew their FIV policy, we would not have handed him to the RSPCA. Or I would have paid for the blood tests myself and taken it from there. We were not told they would put him down if found FIV+. Perhaps I should have asked but I was very naïve and believed what they initially told my friend about their course of action.
I just want people to know that if you have or find an injured cat, and the first instinct is the call the RSPCA, just be aware of their euthanasia policy. I have since found out that this branch is notorious. Also read many news articles since about bad experiences with RSPCA. They refuse to work with other shelters, maybe because they don't want to acknowledge that there are other shelters willing to take animals they don't want. They also didn't communicate with me. I speculate, but from this personal experience, I feel we have been misled, lied to and this didn't need to happen.

Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: RSPCA put down FIV cat

Post by Lilith » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:22 pm

Hi there. That is disgusting.

I'm afraid that the Reluctant Society are well known for this sort of thing - I think many people on here have had bad experiences or heard similar stories about them; until you find out about them you just don't realise how arbitrary and (I have to say it) cruel they are, when they're supposed to be preventing cruelty! :evil:

I'm so very very sorry to hear of this poor cat's needless death; you and your friend, having acted in good faith and for the best, must feel so angry and let-down and grieved x

bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by bobbys girl » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:41 pm

Sorry to hear of yet another case of just how useless the RSPCA has become. You said that it would be peoples 'first instinct' to call them regarding animal welfare . I'm afraid they would be the very last organisation I contacted. :(

I have had run-in's with them in the past over the welfare of gypsy ponies - I may as well been talking to myself. It's only the mention of that other organisation of 'jobsworths', the BBC, that prompt them to do anything.

As the owner of one healthy and very feisty FIV+ baby all I can say is raspberries to the RSPCA. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

opalfruit
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by opalfruit » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:36 pm

Lilith wrote:Hi there. That is disgusting.

I'm afraid that the Reluctant Society are well known for this sort of thing - I think many people on here have had bad experiences or heard similar stories about them; until you find out about them you just don't realise how arbitrary and (I have to say it) cruel they are, when they're supposed to be preventing cruelty! :evil:

I'm so very very sorry to hear of this poor cat's needless death; you and your friend, having acted in good faith and for the best, must feel so angry and let-down and grieved x
Thank you for your support. Yes it is disgusting. I do feel angry, let down and grieved. I called the Blue Cross cat bereavement line, they were very supportive. It's an awful way to find out about them. To be honest I had a feeling, but my friend had already called them and assured me they told him they would treat and re-home. Then you realise the newspapers have reported so many similar stories. I took the cat to the vet for my friend, I too wanted only to help the cat. The RSPCA were evasive and dishonest. When I called again to speak to them, they didn't even care for what they had done - they just callously said it was their policy. Some policy. IMHO they need to make more effort to work with smaller animal shelters and then need to communicate with people who give injured animals to them. If they don't intend to help, they should inform.

opalfruit
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by opalfruit » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:41 pm

bobbys girl wrote:Sorry to hear of yet another case of just how useless the RSPCA has become. You said that it would be peoples 'first instinct' to call them regarding animal welfare . I'm afraid they would be the very last organisation I contacted. :(
- yes well now I know this and never again. Actually I had a sinking feeling but it was my friend who decided to contact them and I was not there to stop him. They really convinced him they would help him with vets cost, treat, be in touch and re-home. He genuinely just wanted the cat to be well and go to a home which could afford him good care. By the time I got there, it was too late, all I could do was take the cat to the vet. Hell, if I knew RSPCA would put him down, and make no attempt whatsoever to re-home, without even treating him, I would have taken him and made enquiries elsewhere.
bobbys girl wrote: I have had run-in's with them in the past over the welfare of gypsy ponies - I may as well been talking to myself. It's only the mention of that other organisation of 'jobsworths', the BBC, that prompt them to do anything.
As the owner of one healthy and very feisty FIV+ baby all I can say is raspberries to the RSPCA. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Raspberries are not really strong enough. A very evasive, dishonest organisation who shouldn't be allowed to operate this way.

bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by bobbys girl » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:25 pm

Perhaps it's time they lost their royal warrant!

opalfruit
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by opalfruit » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:08 pm

bobbys girl wrote:Perhaps it's time they lost their royal warrant!
Yes...not sure why they are Royal anything. It's all part of the deception IMHO.

MrsTillyFlop
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by MrsTillyFlop » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:49 pm

Heartbreaking :cry:

I'd like to mention that the decision of the fate of FIV cats taken into RSPCA care varies from branch to branch. I was rehoming co-ordinator/trustee for RSPCA Lincs East branch back in 2013 & they pts any cat that came into their care with FIV. I was unhappy with them on numerous issues so resigned & moved my membership to RSPCA Lincoln & Mid branch ... talk about chalk & cheese!! The latter branch don't pts FIV cats & actually have one for rehome at the moment.
http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk/node/207

opalfruit
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by opalfruit » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:31 am

MrsTillyFlop wrote:Heartbreaking :cry:

I'd like to mention that the decision of the fate of FIV cats taken into RSPCA care varies from branch to branch. I was rehoming co-ordinator/trustee for RSPCA Lincs East branch back in 2013 & they pts any cat that came into their care with FIV. I was unhappy with them on numerous issues so resigned & moved my membership to RSPCA Lincoln & Mid branch ... talk about chalk & cheese!! The latter branch don't pts FIV cats & actually have one for rehome at the moment.
http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk/node/207
ONE for rehome - that's good of them. We don't know how many they have put down. The policy should be consistent and it should be explained at the time you unknowingly hand a cat to them, thinking they will save it. They also lied to my friend and to the vet and to me when I telephoned them to check up on the cat. My heart breaks at the thought of how this cat and many others must have felt in their hands. The internet is rife with stories of inappropriate put downs and evasive behaviour. There are welfare organisations around the Midlands who I have since found out hate the RSPCA for their cruel actions. Good on you for being a member - I and many others have been wronged and won't trust any RSPCA branch again or give a penny to this ruthless organisation.

vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vanilla » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:46 am

I had no idea that they did this until reading this post. I find this shocking and appalling. :(

Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Another appalling thing is - it's not just the RSPCA, but some vets; I'm reminded of a friend's father who adopted a stray who, when taken in for neutering, was found to be FIV+ and pts without his owner being consulted. Have posted a thread on cat chatting with the full story.

It's a minefield.

opalfruit
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by opalfruit » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:23 am

Lilith wrote:Another appalling thing is - it's not just the RSPCA, but some vets; I'm reminded of a friend's father who adopted a stray who, when taken in for neutering, was found to be FIV+ and pts without his owner being consulted. Have posted a thread on cat chatting with the full story.

It's a minefield.
That's appalling. Can​ vets do the FIV test even if the owner hasn't asked for it?

Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:49 am

This lot did :evil:

This memory comes back too; in the spring of 2003 I started to feed one of the local feral toms, a middleaged chap who was very hostile, though regular meals mellowed him a bit. A local cat charity said they'd trap and neuter him for me - then left me dangling. So I had no option but to 'trap' him (coax him into a carrier with a bit of tuna) myself and take him to the vet, especially as he had a huge running abscess on one haunch and ears swollen and raw with mites. The vet neutered him and cleaned up his ears and abscess, and when I collected him the head nurse advised me to get him tested for FeLV.

Well, I say 'advised'. The pushy little madam went on and on about it; when I refused she made me feel like a bad owner; she said he could infect all the cats in the district. My reasoning was (rightly or wrongly) that he might show up negative today and be positive tomorrow; he roamed, he fought; he didn't live with me and didn't look like living with me. Also, if he did show up positive, what did she expect me to do? Have him pts? He'd mated a couple of the feral girls who'd moved in with me - was I then supposed to have them tested if he was positive, and have THEM pts? No way! I didn't say much of this (couldn't get a word in edgeways) but the pushier she got the more obstinate I got.

By a coinicidence this was the local branch of the chain of vets who put down the cat mentioned earlier. I don't go to them any more; a better vet opened a branch nearer to me. But thank heavens I didn't agree to that test - would they have kept him and put him down too?

I'm happy to say he moved in with me, and became affectionate and thrived, and lived for another 10 years, with no more serious problems than arthritis and old age. And FeLV is far more contagious and fatal than FIV.

At the moment this seems to be a very grey area; I think if I was in a similar situation I'd contact the vet about their policy before taking a cat in. I certainly wouldn't contact the RSPCA! Although Mrs Tillyflop's account of a more enlightened approach at her local branch is very encouraging :)

MrsTillyFlop
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by MrsTillyFlop » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:21 pm

Sadly the majority of the general public aren't aware that RSPCA branches have their own rules. I didn't know until I became the rehoming co-ordinator/trustee for a local branch. It's really sad because some branches can give others a bad name. I'm not sure what the policy is with Cats Protection with FIV cats.

opalfruit
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by opalfruit » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:48 pm

[quote="Lilith"]This lot did :evil:

I certainly wouldn't contact the RSPCA! quote]

I know...it wouldn't have been my first port of call. Unfortunately by the time I got to the cat to take him to the vet - my friend had already been liaising with the RSPCA and had been misled. The vet too reassured me that the RSPCA would take care of him. It was the first time I've ever even been to a vet as I don't have a cat myself, and was just taking him as my friend was at work. I was very upset with my friend for calling the RSPCA, but at the time neither of us knew about the many other shelters I have since found out about on this forum. Even I had known I don't think he would have listened - the majority of people just think he RSPCA are a good charity as they portray themselves as helping sick and injured animals on the TV. We were misled. Next time I go to vet or a shelter I will ask beforehand their pts policies.