Adorable FIV+ Male in Desparate Need of a Home - North West

FIV Cats Needing Homes & Homes Offered
cathtcrt
New Cat Chatter

Adorable FIV+ Male in Desparate Need of a Home - North West

Post by cathtcrt » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:50 am

(In Manchester, but could transport to surrounding areas.) I have a lovely boy (vet reckons around 7 years old) who has been visiting me for a while, but I have only recently determined that he is a stray. I had found a lovely home for him, but he has just been tested as FIV positive (he is leukaemia free) and the lady cannot take him as she has other cats (as have I). He will be neutered soon and vaccinated. He needs a loving home where he would either be the only cat or would be with other FIV+ cats. FIV is not as bad is it may at first seem and FIV+ cats can live out their lives quite happily, often dying of old age. There is loads of info on this site at https://www.catchat.org/index.php/fiv. He is very friendly, although timid with strangers as you would expect, and has started to show signs of affection to us as he has got used to us. He is mainly black (although his coat shows as more browney) with white paws and whiskers, and with some white on his chest and tummy. All he needs is some TLC to blossom into an adorable puss cat. Please can you help? Thank you.

Cat-FAQ
Cat Chat Adviser

Re: Adorable FIV+ Male in Desparate Need of a Home - North West

Post by Cat-FAQ » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:45 am

Hello,
That's a shame about the home you found no longer wanting this cat, as FIV positive and negative cats can live together quite safely, provided none of them are fighters, and that they are all neutered. Could you show the lady our page on FIV, as she may reconsider adopting him once he is neutered? https://www.catchat.org/index.php/fiv
Or maybe you could consider integrating him with your cats once he is neutered?

If you, or this lady can't take him in permanently, Cat Chat’s rehoming advice page should help: https://www.catchat.org/index.php/rehome-pet-cat

Our best advice would be to engage the help of a Rescue & Rehoming organisation, to find a home for this puss - all details of how to do that are on the above page. If you are likely to hand the cat over to a rescue organisation, rather than them helping you to rehome him directly from you to the new home, then please first of all make sure they are "FIV Friendly" (as some organisations sadly are not). If you engage the help of a rescue organisation, then they could (if they wished) feature him on the main Cat Chat website.

You could also email Cat Chat’s Help Desk for further advice: cat.advice (at) catchat.org

Hope that helps and good luck!

cathtcrt
New Cat Chatter

Post by cathtcrt » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:42 pm

Hi, Thank you for your reply. The lady was quite upset when she realised that she couldn't take him to be honest. Whether or not she could be persuaded is another thing because there is no guarantee that none of them would ever have a 'spat'. My tom (neutered) will not tolerate him at all and I am quite worried in fact that they may get into an argument before I can find him a home. Neutering for the stray is the next thing. You are right that all shelters are not FIV+ friendly - one that I contacted said they would just put him to sleep - I was horrified. Thank you for the advice. I will follow all leads.

Cat-FAQ
Cat Chat Adviser

Post by Cat-FAQ » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:59 pm

Hello again,
Yes, definitely neutering is the priority for this lad. Once he is neutered he will lose his "tom cat" smell, and will be much easier to integrate him into a home with neutered cats. All the while the other cats cat detect that he is 'entire' it will be harder to integrate him, in fact I wouldn't even try until he is is neutered! This is most likely why your own cat isn't too keen at the moment, as he knows very well he is 'entire'. This would change once he is neutered, although the smell can take a couple of weeks to subside.

He has clearly been someone's cat in the past, or he wouldn't be this friendly this soon - such a shame his original owner didn't neuter him!

Just to clarify about FIV potentially transmitting between cats, the virus wouldn't transmit with just a little 'spat'. The virus can only transmit when there is a deep bite wound directly into the bloodstream of the other cat, so it has to be a very serious fight for that to even be possible. This is why FIV is mostly transmitted between non-neutered toms, who are aggressively fighting for food, mates and survival. So once this puss is neutered, fed and cared for, the chances are very, very low that he would get into that kind of a fight. Naturally, first introductions should be careful and supervised, but that's advisable for any new cat.

I do have experience of this exact situation myself, and after neutering, the FIV+ cat became part of the family living happily alongside non-FIV cats. He turned into a right old softie in fact, one of the most loving cats you could wish to meet.

I would talk to this lady again - but firstly, do get him neutered, this will be key to a successful adoption, wherever he ends up. If you need any further advice, please feel free to email our Help Desk on: cat.advice (at) catchat.org

Well done caring for this little lad!

PS: Extra thought - if neither this lady or yourself are able to take him in after all, and you do decide to try to rehome him, if you want a list of the organisations in your area who we know to be FIV-Friendly, please email our HelpDesk on: cat.advice (at) catchat.org It's not a complete list, as there will be other organisations not yet on our list who are FIV-Friendly, (which is why we don't publish the list) but it will give you a start.
Last edited by Cat-FAQ on Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

cathtcrt
New Cat Chatter

Post by cathtcrt » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:07 pm

Thank you - yes - I am planning to book him in for his 'snip' in the next few days.

Cat-FAQ
Cat Chat Adviser

Post by Cat-FAQ » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:09 pm

Smashing!