Cat groomers

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
RJJackson
New Cat Chatter

Cat groomers

Post by RJJackson »

Hi

Wondering if anyone can help? I have two long haired white hair cats. One (Molly) has not been home for 2 weeks and has now got matted fur. She’s never going to be able to groom this herself and I can’t give her a groom without hurting her. It will need a shave. I’m angry and annoyed as unfortunately someone has obviously left food out and it’s why she’s not been home. But that aside I need to get her back to her usual healthy self.

I could bite the bullet and attempt this myself but would prefer someone who knows how! So any recommendations in the Ealing/West London area? Preferably not someone who’s going to charge a fortune!!

Thanks
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat groomers

Post by Mollycat »

If it really is that bad could your vet help? Would she even tolerate being shaved without a sedation?
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by susand »

I once had a friend who owned a particularly fierce moggy and couldn’t get near her with a brush for fear of getting her hands shredded. She used to drive said moggy to the vets on a weekly basis and one of the vet nurses would do it for her (wearing a falconer’s glove on each hand presumably). I agree with Mollycat that your veterinary practice is likely your best bet and the most appropriate place to get her sorted if the matts are bad.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

My (rather limited) experience of vets shaving cats is they are very functional about it and the cats can come home looking rather interesting.
RJJackson
New Cat Chatter

Post by RJJackson »

Thanks - my vets are reluctant and will tell you to find a cat groomer and have done again (annoyingly).

Molly is really easy going so won’t need a sedation (she’d let me groom her and put up with me removing her matts, but I don’t want to as I’m bound to hurt her and too scared at moment to use a shaver!).

Honestly don’t care how she looks as long as she’s not matted and back to normal.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Well if she's ok with clippers maybe it might pay to buy some and get a professional to show you how?

I have a Molly too, but sounds like the exact opposite of your Molly!
RJJackson
New Cat Chatter

Post by RJJackson »

Thanks all.

@MollyCat - yep my Molly has a lot of ragdoll in her and is very loving, now Dolly her sister.. loving with my baby and myself but anyone else..😂

Sooo I did have a pair of clippers and after the drama of trying to find a cat groomer, today i bit the bullet, couldn’t stand to see her like that anymore. So figured if I go slowly and I’ll stop if she or I panic!!

She was fine as she really is the most docile of cats, she kept licking me, almost as if she was saying she’s ok!!😁 I’ve managed to remove all her matts, she looks like she’s been hacked at but she seems much more happier.

Honestly I wish people would realise how important it is not to feed other peoples cats and let them come home.

I’d like to keep her in at all times but she’s got a sister who’s always out so is always eager to follow. Unlike Dolly her sister though, Molly is not great at grooming herself, so a couple of days with no grooming is not good and she’s not got the sense to be wary of others!!

Thanks all for your help😁
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

That's great and now you know if it comes to this again it will be fine and no need to pay people to do what you can do yourself. Winner all round. Thanks for the update too.
RJJackson
New Cat Chatter

Post by RJJackson »

Thanks - Same thought!😁👍🏼