Bengal cross maybe

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Kithra
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Bengal cross maybe

Post by Kithra »

I took Loki to the vet today for his annual vaccination. She thought he might be a Bengal cross but wasn't sure. So I wondered what people on here might think?
Attachments
cat 3.jpg
loki from facebook.jpg
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Bengal cross maybe

Post by susand »

I wouldn’t know. However, if the vet thinks it’s a possibility, I’d advise reading up on Bengals, so you are aware of any social needs or possible health issues specific to the breed. I once had a cat that a vet suggested might be Burmese. It didn’t matter to me because I loved him regardless but I wish I’d have read up on the breed. Years later I did and discovered his character was just as described for a typical Burmese. Heartbreakingly, I learned that it isn’t advisable to leave a Burmese alone for long periods as they tend to require the company of their human more than most cats. I had been leaving him alone all day as I worked long hours. I now wonder if that was the cause of the health issues he had, which included inflammatory bowel disease and overgrooming. Had I known stress/loneliness might have been a factor, I would have made sure I spent more time with him. Unfortunately, I had no idea that he might have special needs due to his breed and assumed he could be treated just like any other cat. (Sorry Toes, you are long dead now but I still feel guilty that I unintentionally neglected you.)
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

In fairness Susand I think there as as many exceptions as subscribers to breed descriptions, with the possibly exception of naturally occurring or very ancient breeds like Birman, Siamese and Van, or Bengal which has some recently wild genes of a different species in the mix. Felis Sylvestris has been around for 9000 years and breeding by human selection has only been around for a couple of hundred years. A cat is a cat, a breed doesn't stick to its characteristics any more than races of humans do.

My blue mitted retired stud Ragdoll was easy-going but certainly no pushover, it took two of us to get pills down his throat and he told us when he'd had enough brushing, his unfazed ability to sleep through drilling above his bed was more about his age than breed and he kept the dog firmly in his place until he was ready to make friends.
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by susand »

Hi, with Toes, the description of ‘the Burmese character’ was like I was reading a description of him! He was so like they said. However, at the time I didn’t know that much about cats and, like most people, thought all cats were totally independent and didn’t need company and I so wish I’d known differently at the time. All the clues were there, he’d greet me at the door, follow me round the flat and jump on my knee the minute I sat down. He was so clingy I couldn’t get anything done! But I’d been told from an early age that a cat’s love is just ‘cupboard love’ and I didn’t really think about changing that view in the light of his behaviour, which I regret.

I agree though that, like ascribing personalities to people based on their star sign, ascribing a personality to a cat based on it’s breed is going to be a very hit and miss affair. I have wondered whether my current cat, Harvey, is a Ragdoll or at least a Ragdoll cross, based on his appearance (see right). He does share some of the personality traits described for the breed but certainly doesn’t do the famous “flop” when I pick him up. More the “the wriggle”!

He may or may not be a Ragdoll and of course it doesn’t matter one iota either way with respect to how much I love him but I think if there is a possibility that he is then it is helpful for me to be aware of specific needs for that breed and in particular, possible health issues such as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, so I know to bear it in mind if he ever displays any symptoms.