Should I get another cat ?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Should I get another cat ?

Post by papa cat »

One of my cats died last December unexpectedly. My other cat has now become super affectionate and seeks attention a lot of the time.
Even if he has been sleeping all night with me, when I wake up he is seeking attention like I have not been there at all.
In general the amount of attention he is now demanding is almost irritating
I cannot decide if he has 'come out of the shadow' of the other cat or if he is missing his own kind. Throughout his life he had always known the company of the other cat and they were quite close. (The cat that died was the dominant one though)
I have an ideal upcoming opportunity to introduce another cat as I maybe moving home shortly so the 'territorial issues' might not arise.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Should I get another cat ?

Post by Mollycat »

My experience of multi-cat households is limited but two of my cats - both the boys - needed cat companionship, and they made it very clear. One went around the neighbourhood recruiting, brining other cats to our house to check it out. The other was indoor only but upon hearing a cat outside he would run to the window calling and calling and eventually give up and his body language showed such sadness and disappointment every time when his calls went unanswered.

On the other hand the cat that stayed with my ex, she walked into a home with two resident cats voluntarily, refused to leave, showed no response when the first died, and when the second died 3 years ago despite being 20 years old she blossomed and is now confident, loving and happy as an only cat. Also my Molly who was brought into the household as a companion for calling Bobby, with him gone she too is affectionate with us as an only cat and was quite relaxed about Bobby's disappearance.

If your cat wants a friend, get another cat. If you want another cat, get another cat and do everything possible so that the resident accepts the new, but be clear in your own mind who this is for, it will help you through any issues. Yes a house move and neutral territories would seem like an ideal time, or your cat could see the new home as an even bigger threat. You never know with cats.