Hi, Molly again!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Hi, Molly again!

Post by Mollycat »

Hi lovely people of CatChat, Molly here (again)

I know I've been the topic of a lot of posts lately (Momma tells me what you lovely people say) but this is different.

I can't quite put my toe on why but I feel so healthy and happy right now. Where I lived before with my other Momma, she used to leave the door open sometimes while she was in the garden, and she tried to encourage me to go outside, but I was too scared. that's why she rehomed me as an indoor cat, because by the time I was 6 years old I had never felt confident enough to step outside our front door.

My Momma now lives in a flat so our door leads out into a big cold spooky area with stairs where everything sounds really loud and echoes funny, it's hard to figure out who is there or what the dangers are. A few times I have felt safe enough to come to the door and oh boy there are a lot of different smells out there, I can smell 12 different flats and visitors and two more dogs - my Momma says I am so brave if I come to the door.

But ever since the doctor helped get rid of the pain in my mouth, I feel so much more relaxed and confident. I feel safe enough to get onto the sofa, which I only tried once or twice before and it was scary, and now I can relax even next to a person and even between my two people. And they can stroke me, not too much though. But for the first year with my new Momma I wanted desperately for her to cuddle me but I was so scared I just couldn't handle it.

Anyway - this morning at 5am when all the people from all the other flats were asleep, and Momma took the dog out for a wee, she asked OH to stay with me with the door open. So I went all the way to the stairs, and down 6 steps almost to the first half landing, and you know what? It was ok, nothing bad happened! Then I heard Momma and the dog come back into the building so I didn't panic but I went back into our flat, quite quickly but not like a mad panic at all, and it was ok.

Momma's ever so proud of me, I've been with Momma for nearly 8 years and I never felt so safe in my life before. It feels good. I just want all Momma's friends on here to know, no matter how much trauma we go through, with the right support, love and patience, we traumatised kitties can become the best we can be. If you give us the space to just be, and don't put expectations on us, we can keep hiding for months or years and then one day things just click into place and our world is safe enough for us to blossom. Never give up on us, but be wary of hope. We all have love to give, we just don't always show it the way you expect.

Let go of expectations, always enable, stay open. Never give up hope and appreciate the tiniest steps we can make. Thank you for listening.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Hi, Molly again!

Post by fjm »

Lovely to hear, Molly - letting go of even a bit of fear can make life so much richer and happier.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

So pleased to hear that you are finally able to let go of some of your fears and relax more Molly (I also had a Molly who got spooked outside and didn't go out for years), and hope you continue to be brave and enjoy things more.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

So glad Molly is feeling better. Now I just need to get Freyja to read this and to understand that things don't have to be scary. She is an odd one, sometimes she can be fine and loves a good ear scritch, other times you look at her wrong and she is off and under the bed. She, however, does like outside, she loves sitting on a fence post and surveying her kingdom, or carefully rearranging the neatly spread out bark chippings into nice big piles.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I so wish she could go into a safe quiet garden, I just know she would love it. But even if we could move now I suspect by the time she got used to a new home she would be past the age of having time to enjoy a garden. It's my one regret.