Looking for information

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
SamH32
New Cat Chatter

Looking for information

Post by SamH32 »

Hi all, so my and the family have been thinking about getting a cat for a while now but have a few issues that is stopping us really going for it.

The first being that we live in a second floor flat so I can cat proof that which isn't an issue but they will have to be a indoor cat as only have the balcony.

Secondly my mother is allergic to cats or at least cats she's been in contact with and would still like her to visit from time to time. So I would like a breed that can be a house cat along with low allergen.

Thank you
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Looking for information

Post by Ruth B »

I can't really advise on low allergen it seems to vary from cat to cat as well as from breed to breed. My personal suggestion would be to contact a shelter and see what they have available that would be suitable as an indoor only cat, many have some that are better kept indoors either due to medical conditions or because they have proved too territorial or scared to go outside, or always have been an indoor cat, they would be ideal for your flat, other shelters are happy to home to an indoor only home anyway as it keeps the cats safe from traffic etc.. Once you have found some that are suitable then see if your Mother can go in for short visits with each one to see how badly they set off her allergy. I would also suggest, as it sounds like you are a first time cat owner, that getting an adult cat would be a better option than a kitten as their personality has already developed and you know more what you are getting. A shelter will normally also be happy to give advice after the adoption if problems develop as it is in their interest to help the cat stay in its home rather than have it returned to the shelter.

As far as the allergy problem goes I can give a bit of advice as I have a friend who is allergic to cats but still likes to visit. Make sure you know in advance when your Mother is visiting and hover the place well, including the furniture. I have a Dyson vacuum with the animal hair attachments and it works really well at lifting the cat fur and dander off the carpets, laminate floor and the soft furnishings such as the sofa. You can also get cat wipes that are meant to help reduce the dander on the cat by wiping it off, the dander is the normal culprit for causing the allergy not the hair itself which is why even hairless cats can cause problems. A few gentle wipes over the cats body might make all the difference when you Mother is due to visit, and of course you can always shut your cat out of the room while she is there, they may moan a bit, but give them a few treats and a warm bed and they will be fine, you just have to learn to ignore them, give in once and you give in forever. There is also nothing wrong with your Mother taking the occasional antihistamine when they plan on visiting as that can help keep the allergic response down as well, but as with any medication it would be worth checking with her doctor or a pharmacist if she is taking any other medication.