2 cats being aggressive towards kitten going outside

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Grinchy
Frequent Cat Chatter

2 cats being aggressive towards kitten going outside

Post by Grinchy »

Hi all,

I have three female cats - all spayed. Two litter mate kittens (Kellen and Ferius) - who are now 9 months old. there is also an adult cat called Buffy (6 years old).

When the kittens arrived, I did a proper introduction process which took 5 weeks from the kittens arriving to wandering around the house freely. It had its ups and downs but we reached a point where the kittens and the adult cat exist and there was no conflict. Ferius and Buffy even sleep on the same bed together! Here is the journey: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9382&p=62978&hilit=kellen#p62978

Since March, I have allowed the kittens to go outside. Kellen loves being outside but Ferius is more reticent. Kellen chases off other cats but Ferius holds back. Both Ferius and Buffy prefer to be inside. Kellen has more or less stopped using the litter trays during the day. Ferius uses the litter trays all the time. Buffy uses the litter trays at night only. Kellen and Ferius are only allowed out between 6am-6pm. Buffy is allowed out between 6am-8.30pm.

However, something has changed since I allowed the kittens to go outside. Buffy has become more aggressive towards Kellen - especially when she comes back in from a morning stroll. She seems to have less tolerance towards Kellen and goes for her in an aggressive way. Ferius has also started jumping on her and getting less patient with her.

I've noticed this the last week or so.

Do you think it is something which will pass or will I need to do the introduction process again?

Many thanks.