Home made cat toys

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
UlinMajere
New Cat Chatter

Home made cat toys

Post by UlinMajere »

Hi all

My 2 little fur babies go through cat toys like they are going out of fashion so i was looking to get some sisel rope and make my own.
I have seen a load of guides but they all use hot glue guns, now i may be wrong but wouldnt that be dangerous if ingested?

I am wondering if anyone has or knows of any guides showing how to make cat friendly sisel toys.

Thanks in advance
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Home made cat toys

Post by Ruth B »

I can't help with Sisal ones, but the one I did come across was just made out of an old cotton towel sewn into whatever shape you wanted and filled with other offcuts of the towel and a small bag containing catnip. They said to use a plastic bag with holes punched in for the catnip, i would have thought that one made from soft cotton might be safer if the cats managed to pull the outer toy apart they can then safely play with the inner catnip bag without being in danger of harming themselves chewing the plastic.

I've also known a lot of cats go mad for a ball made of a screwed up piece of paper.

Some of the best toys can be homemade.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

A 2ft length of old sash cord with a large knot tied in one end of it works wonders for Tilly. Can be dragged over the floor in front of her so she pounces on it and plays with it. She seldom lets it go, so a second one to distract her into dropping the first is also useful! A bit of Sissal twine with a knot should work just as well.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

When you say toys I am thinking the same as Ruth, small catnip mice and scrunched up paper. You wouldn't make that kind of thing with sisal string, it isn't really a toy in that way. Do you mean scratch posts? If so, I had the same idea and you can use U shaped fencing staples. But really I'm not sure it's worth it, I ended up giving up. You can also get sisal matting, which might be a lot easier to work with and as far as I'm aware can also be fixed with the U shaped fencing staples.