Need playing advice for my Kitten

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Justino_69
New Cat Chatter

Need playing advice for my Kitten

Post by Justino_69 »

Hello,

5 days ago I found a lost kitten. I tried to find the owner/mother but could not. She was dirty, cute, and wanted my attention as soon as I found her. I took her home, shes clean, eating good, using her litter box and loves to sleep. I like to play with her, she loves to play as well but I am unsure how to play with her correctly. I do not want her to be like some cats that when she gets older, she bites sometimes. I want to enforce no biting at all, but I am unsure how to do that. When we play, she likes to get on her back and I scratch her chin. She grapples onto my hand and puts my fingers in her mouth but doesn't bite. she just puts them in her mouth and kicks my hand with her back leg.

Is this normal cat behavior or is this type of play teaching her to maybe bite in the future?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Need playing advice for my Kitten

Post by Mollycat »

Well done you it sounds like you're doing everything right. Have you seen a vet, and do you have any idea of the kitten's age?

Yes this kind of play is absolutely natural kitten behaviour, with the extra added sweetness of having your finger in her mouth without biting. My 14 year old rescue cat only chews my finger when she is high on catnip and if she gets carried away and chews a bit hard I just say softly, gentle, gentle, and she backs off. It's important not to discipline a cat in a confrontational way as it will quickly escalate into a nasty situation.

You seem to be quickly building a strong bond with your kitten and it's this relationship that will enable you to guide her gently away from unwanted behaviours and towards better ones. Because of this I'm likely to buck the trend by saying it doesn't sound to me as if there is any major concern at this stage. The reason I ask if you know her age is that as the milk teeth are pushed out by the adult teeth she may get more chewy. But I would put it this way - a kitten that has your finger in her mouth and maybe occasionally chews gently with her side teeth isn't a great concern. A bite with the big teeth, that's different and needs some teaching.

The kicking might become more of an issue, you can start redirecting to a big toy she can attack. You can buy that sort of thing or just get an old sock, stuff it with some crinkly plastic and soft padding, add a little catnip, and tie the top. Sounds like you're doing an amazing job already and well done for picking her up.