Cat not eating

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
vkgabc415
New Cat Chatter

Cat not eating

Post by vkgabc415 »

I brought home a 6 month old cat a few days ago. He is super friendly and doesn't show signs of stress but he has not been eating the amount he should since he came here. I've tried canned kitten food from Royal Canin, Wellness Core, and out of desperation, even adult cat food from Purina that I happened to have on hand. He should be having approx. two cans per day but will not finish even one full can. I split his meals into 4 small feedings but he still leaves a lot uneaten. His previous owner said she fed him a combination of dry and wet food from 9lives but I didn't like the brand and am trying to feed him better food. I tried dry food from Blue Buffalo Wilderness, but he shows the same reaction. He gets very excited to eat when he hears the can being opened or the food packaging being opened, but only takes a few bites. He loves treats though - especially freeze-dried chicken - and i am wondering if i should put him on a freeze-dried raw diet. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience dealing with picky eaters?

Also, he either has separation anxiety or just has an extremely clingy and affectionate personality. Can this have something to do with it?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat not eating

Post by Mollycat »

A few days ago? Give the poor guy a chance!

First he needs time to settle in, weeks rather than days. Then maybe you can start introducing other foods, gradually if you insist he must have your chosen brands and he isn't keen, by mixing gradually increasing proportions into his existing food. I never do it personally, if they don't like a food I don't force them to eat it, but that's just my choice, I do appreciate wanting to give cats healthier foods.

As for being clingy, he just got taken away from what has been his entire world, either his whole life or even worse if it's the second new home. It's going to take time for him to understand that this is for the rest of his life. I would relax, try to spend time with him getting to know him and letting him get to know you, this is supposed to be fun.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

I agree - give him a few weeks to settle in and then gradually introduce him to your preferred foods. But don't be surprised if he refuses them - getting children to eat lovely healthy vegetables like cabbage and broccoli is as nothing when it comes to persuading a cat that the expensive food you have carefully decanted is better than the one they know and love. An imperfect food in the cat is much better than two absolutely brilliant ones in the bin!
overseasCat
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by overseasCat »

I agree with the others above, that a new cat needs to settle in and get over the stress of being in a new place, with people. Cats like routines, once they get some established they tend to settle down. Their digestive systems are the same and suddenly changing to a new kind of food can make them have a bad stomach. The exception is older cats who are used to be generalist feeders, such as outdoor cats who blag food from neighbours.

As for feeding a distracted cat try one piece at a time and don't let him or her see how much more you have in the bowl. So put one cube of food on the corner of a plate that's closest to the cat. Use a plate that makes the food easy to see, no patterns that look like the food. Once the first piece is gone wait until the cat bends down and is sniffing around for more (or looks up at you for more), then give another piece. The cat should love the fuss.

Even if you put a fair amount of food on a plate at once, you can still generate interest by waiting until the cat looks up (getting distracted) and then piling the food up into a pyramid and pushing it closer to the cat's side of the plate. Often this gets the cat to look down and start eating again. Sometimes with loose food they end up pushing it around the plate. It's easier to bite the top off a pyramid.

Also, pop the food in a microwave for about 4 seconds (really only seconds!), this warms it and sends out the smell that the cat will pick up. Also, a cat's prey will be warm, so this is natural. Note, that you can't put it back in the fridge if you have warmed it (as it will go bad), so only warm enough for one feed.

Cats like to pick cubes of food off grass (e.g. off the lawn), if it is an outdoor cat. If indoor, I put the pieces on a large piece of card (I stand on one edge of it to stop it moving). Cats like to escape the confines of a bowl, and they think they've accidentally discovered some food. Of course it's a bad habit to get them into, so only use it for a cat that really won't eat and is making itself ill. Otherwise you may have years ahead of feeding the cat off the floor.

I hope your cat gets the hang of eating soon. Probably just stress from being in a new place, but if after another couple of weeks, or if there is weight loss, you can try the above strategies.

Good luck.

Ivor