New Water Bowl with fountain and biological filtration system

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

New Water Bowl with fountain and biological filtration system

Post by Ruth B »

Keeping Venus Flytraps isn't quite straight forward. They need plenty of sun during the Summer and a nice warm place, a sunny windowsill is ideal. However in Winter they need to be cold, but not at risk of a hard frost, an unheated greenhouse or potting shed is great. They are also a bog plant so need the soil they are in to be kept fairly moist, but are highly lime intolerant so you can't use tap water as the little that is picked up as it seeps through the ground is enough to kill them, even in soft water areas, so you have to collect rainwater for them. Why do I explain all this in a thread about a cat water bowl? Because i have a paludarium with some in, and having spent the winter out in the shed i brought in in this morning. A paludarium is something like combining an aquarium and a terrarium together, it has a water section and a plant section, I even put in a tiny submersible pump so i could have a little waterfall over the rocks. It isn't perfect but it is my first attempt at hardscaping a paludarium and i was quite pleased with it after I had done it last year, and i still am, even more so as my Venus Flytraps are coming back for a second year. This morning I brought it back in to spend the summer on a windowsill. Minutes after i had it in place, plugged in and the pump running did Tiggy decide to investigate it, as far as she is concerned it is a nice little water bowl with running water, and filled with nice tasty rainwater from outside which has to go through a piece of pond filter and soil to get from the main reservoir area to the pump area, and of course she can sit in the sun while she has a drink.

(Please excuse s;; the kitty nose art on the window)
IMG_0619_opt.jpg
IMG_0619_opt.jpg (40.17 KiB) Viewed 298 times
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New Water Bowl with fountain and biological filtration system

Post by Mollycat »

How very posh Ruth! I thought you were going to say you bought a cheap water fountain and added some plants, but this is so much better. So now you have a posh water bowl, you need to refluff the house poshly to go with the bowl? No? Not a good enough excuse?