cat food detective wanted

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

cat food detective wanted

Post by Kay »

A feral tom I have been feeding for around 7 years nearly lost his life 10 days ago, when I tried to trap him to take him to the vet for probable euthanasia - I failed miserably but now I am so glad I did, because I have hit on a cure for him, but I don't know why

For several months he had been struggling to eat - cat food, biscuits, cooked chicken, raw mince, pates and pureed food - I tried them all - and had begun clawing violently at his mouth when trying to eat, drawing blood until his mouth, paws and bedding were covered in it - the fact he did it with pates made me think it was a gum problem rather than his teeth, or mouth ulcers

after failing to trap him I got some Bozita, which I knew had more jelly than most cat foods, even though he had shown little interest in it when I last tried it some years ago - I thought the jelly might keep him going until I felt brave enough to try trapping him again

and a miracle has occured - he has now chomped his way through 10 cartons of the stuff, leaving a clean dish every time and gradually eating faster than he has done for at least 6 months, and no more clawing at his mouth and not a speck of blood

I know it must be something to do with the contents of the food, as he has only clawed at his mouth once in the 10 days, when he stole a morsel of Gourmet pate from a neighbour's cat who I have been feeding his old food to - so what is in the UK foods that isn't in Swedish Bozita?

Anyone got any idea?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: cat food detective wanted

Post by booktigger »

Aww, bless him. Not sure what would not be in Bozita, but I know foods like butchers classic can help a lot with gingivitis, can't remember the science behind it now
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: cat food detective wanted

Post by Mollycat »

I believe Bozita is grain free and so is Butchers but that doesn't explain raw mince. When I think how many other people's posts I have read in distress over cats pawing at their mouth, there are a lot of cats and owners out there who will be heartened by the idea that there might still be a brand of food they can try.