Where do they go?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Where do they go?

Post by Mollycat »

There seem to be so many topics where someone was desperate for help with a seemingly unsolvable problem, in some cases under danger or death or threat of rehoming, helpful and kind people rally round to offer help, and the desperate owner is never heard from again.

What happens to them? Where do they go? Do they ever get released back to earth? Do they ever solve the unsolvable without us?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Where do they go?

Post by fjm »

I agree - very occasionally there is an update, and even if they are sad at least we know what happened. But then I think of some of the forums I have visited with a single question, and then never thought of again. If they were set to send me a notification when posts were added to the thread I would do my best to remember passwords etc, but sometimes once the washing machine etc was fixed I simply lost track. Perhaps some of the visitors have asked the same question in several places and forgotten CC - perhaps all we can do is be as kind and informative as we can, and hope some of the cats and humans benefit.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Unfortunately people have learnt to just take what they want and then vanish, the internet just makes it worse. Most people are anonymous on the internet, they use different handles in different places and what they say in one place isn't associated with them elsewhere, there is no responsibility for what you say and no real identity to you. Conversations become a one way thing, you ask your question and then just take the answer given, you don't stop to consider that there is another person on the other side giving you the answer, and who might actually be concerned about why you are actually asking it in the first place.

Of course there are then people like us who keep turning up like bad pennies, more than happy to voice our opinions, and who actually feel we know and care about what is happening to the other regulars as well as to those that show up, ask a question and then vanish. i would love to know the outcome of some of the threads, but I've accepted that I probably never will for most of them, updates are great to get, even if the outcome isn't what anyone hoped for, so I just give what help I can when people ask in hope that I will hear later, but just accept it is a way of modern life if I don't.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Well said Ruth, I must admit I thought they just asked and vanished without waiting for any responses, as so many responses involve more questions and they never give the extra details.

Yes us regular bad pennies, that made me laugh, I think of us as the little gang who between us will always come up with something and seem between us to have one of the most eccentric collection of cats past and present that you could pretty much dream up, and have run into most of the health conditions too. It is ever such a good community though!
Laujo
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Laujo »

You were all so helpful when I was an anxious mess with my new girl. Although I dont post much I come on and read the posts everyday and have learnt so much from you all.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Laujo wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:55 pm You were all so helpful when I was an anxious mess with my new girl. Although I dont post much I come on and read the posts everyday and have learnt so much from you all.
You see, you ask a question and always come back to be part of the conversation. Your own cats will always teach you the most though, and that's the most valuable stuff you end up sharing to help others in their learning journey in the future. Another forum I was on - it wasn't like this one at all it was so judgemental and snotty - someone appeared in the middle of the night in a tizz about what seemed to be a medical emergency with a heavily pregnant queen, we tried to get a few more essential details, and then nothing. I don't know, I'd go back after a few days and see if I missed something, at the very least, even if I didn't need answers any more. I joined a doggy forum recently, asked what I needed, three times, never got an answer, but went back several times over the next few weeks and eventually gave up. Maybe it's the way things are now but I still think it's rude.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

on the subject of support, I remember well how useful the old Yahoo group for cats with hyperthyroid was to me years ago when my Trigger was first diagnosed - mostly American members but that was a big asset, as treatment for HT was more advanced in the US than here

I got enough education from that group to educate my own vet in how to proceed

that level of support is unusual in the UK, perhaps because vet fees, though crippling enough, are less than in the US, so we don't always look for advice elsewhere
overseasCat
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by overseasCat »

Sorry for butting in!
I thought this thread would be about where do the cats go? I am wondering why I haven't seen any cats since May (except the two bravest ones). It's a mystery.

As to where the humans go off forums, well they probably mean to keep posting, but then stuff happens, and then they forget the password, and even forget that they registered at all. I get emails with subject lines like:
"Important: Update to privacy policy on Parrots in Space Alumni Forum" and I wonder, when and why did I ever register with that?

If I ever get another cat, I will try to remember this forum!

I am temporarily trapped by travel restrictions (pandemic related), but usually I don't stay in one place long enough to have a cat. I could really do with a cat now, but I had to make do with saying hello to the local cats as they did their patrols. Now they have all disappeared.

It's a mystery, and I hope they are okay.

You are honoured that a cat (or cats) has found you suitable to be their humans!

Apologies again for the interruption.

Ivor
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

this time of year is prime feline mating time, for those who still have the equipment to do so, and prime hunting time too, now the sun is out and the nights are warmer

I still see my neighbourhood's cats occasionally, but they tend to have some poor unfortunate creature clamped in their jaws, and seem to have things to do, and places to be, more than usual

I expect they will be lounging about doing very little once the novelty of dry days and balmy nights wears off
overseasCat
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by overseasCat »

Thank you Kay,

To check, I went out at 1am and no cats were hurling themselves over fences (they usually make enough noise doing that, being mostly too well fed). I saw Vega, Sadr and Deneb (these are stars, but good cat names too), but no cats. The birds are also very quiet, the robin is very efficient at crying out "cat, cat, cat, cat,...." if there is one out and about.

I have one theory that fits all the observations, although it could still be wrong, but it does fit. The cats might be on holiday, in cat hotels. The government lifts restrictions on travel, somewhat, and people who have been "locked in" for so long might all have decided to go away. Usually this is staggered, but 2021 is a strange year. So one or two cats staying in because they don't like the heat, and three on holiday at the same time, could give the impression of a mysterious disappearance of cats. Or there could be some building work on the route they take to get here, I know some might walk a mile or so from wherever they are coming.

Anyway, I should get back to work.

Ivor