Local cats in hiding

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
overseasCat
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Local cats in hiding

Post by overseasCat »

Hi Cat Chatters

I don't have a cat (well I do have a cat, but I am no longer allowed* into the country where he lives, so he was adopted), but I enjoyed regular visits from the neighbour's cat. She only stayed for 15-20 minutes per visit (a few times almost an hour, if she fell asleep), but in summer would come three times a day. I think she was passing through on her patrols. On the first of June she stopped coming, and has not visited since. She is almost 19, so I considered that she might have passed away. It is now June 12th.

As my attention was drawn to cats by the missing visitor, I noticed that all the other local cat visitors have disappeared too. There were three cats who also regularly passed through (but they are not old, and not so friendly, so I didn't immediately miss them), and they haven't been seen in the garden since June 1st. In addition, there are three more cats who used to pass through maybe once every fortnight, and they disappeared too. The local birds tend to follow cats around, making a noise, so I would know if cats were in neighbouring gardens. So it sounds like they are not going out much.

Could something have spooked the local cats? I can't hear anything, and I haven't seen any new cat on the block, or heard any new dogs. So it is not an obvious thing. This year is different though because we have some overgrown areas (the local gardener didn't come in spring because of COVID-19), and I wondered if the long grass is worrisome to cats. Also, the cars are back this summer because of a relaxation of restrictions, so roads are getting busy.

Back to the older cat, the neighbour is only close by as the cat walks, not as the human paths and roads go, and I don't know them. Consequently, I can't really ask, and it would be an odd question. Anyway, the older cat was seen three days ago, staying close to the wall, in her own garden, so she was alive, but not going far from home. On the same day, the big strong tom cat who was also one of our regular visitors also passed by, but only on that one day (he is usually twice a day).

I wondered if anyone had any ideas as to what could explain the absence of local cats or if anyone has seen a similar disappearance. Will they come back? How long does it take for patrols to resume after a scare?

Of course it could all be coincidence, and the older cat may be fading away. With being locked up, working from home, and not being able to visit my own cat, I am missing the old visitor. I know it is silly, but I could set my watch by her, and looking up to see her peering through the window made the day less dull. Also, I hope she is okay, and will not have to miss the summer for any reason (health or being spooked).

Any thoughts at all would be good, some ideas that did not come out of own head!

Many thanks

Ivor.

*Not because I broke any laws (it was a country that only issues visas for essential purposes, and I was no longer essential).
overseasCat
Returning Cat Chatter

Re: Local cats in hiding

Post by overseasCat »

I should add that it isn't very hot. At this time in 2020 she was lying under the tree quite peacefully.
overseasCat
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by overseasCat »

Well I hope it has nothing to do with this! https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/cat- ... 40989.html

It might be that they are slipping invisibly through the tall vegetation that seems to be everywhere this year (and spreading out their patrols into the night time).

I saw a cat tonight!
overseasCat
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by overseasCat »

Well they are all back now, except for the 19 year-old.

I suppose it is a mystery, known only to cats.