Cat carrier recommendations

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Oddcat
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Cat carrier recommendations

Post by Oddcat »

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I posted here, but I'm after your options regarding cat carriers.

After feeling very untrusting of our three old carriers for a while, one finally proved me right today when the door catch snapped clean off! Thank goodness we hadn't left home yet when it happened, but it has scared me silly!

So I'm in the market for a new carrier, with security and safety being my absolute priority. What would you recommend?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat carrier recommendations

Post by Mollycat »

Well, I was always told cats prefer to be in the dark to feel secure. It may be true for some or many, but thanks to a suggestion I was deeply sceptical about and very wrong, we have something Molly is happiest with. It's the wire cage type used by many vets and rescues, it had a top loading lid that fastens down with a long steel pin, and also a front loading portcullis door. It didn't come cheap and didn't have a solid floor so I have put in a hard plastic board cut to size inside. It definitely isn't going to fall apart, ever.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I'll second the wire, crate style carriers, my family has always used them, and after a short interlude when I used plastic front opening ones I got with a pair of cats I adopted, I soon returned to the wire, crate style ones.

they are far more practicality over style or fashion, but i would opt for practicality anytime. The ones i have only have the top opening, but that is enough. I used to struggle getting the friendliest of cats in a front opening carrier, where as the top opening means that I can even get Freyja my nervous girl who doesn't like being handled in one by quickly scruffing her and gently lowering her in. One of mine came with a plastic tray liner, the other didn't, but several layers of newspaper and some old fabric is fine to line it, and if you cat prefers to be in darkness then a towel can easily cover it for transport, you quickly learn the technique of finding and holding the handle through the towel. I will also say that one of my carriers is about 20 years old and still going strong, i'm not sure on the age of the other, it was one of my parents, but as it nested inside my large carrier we kept it and donated my spare to charity instead. They are kept inside so don't suffer from damp like those that live in sheds or garages, so while more expensive than some, they are worth it in the long run.
My Sister, having finally accepted that the cat that has been visiting has adopted her, bought one from this company, I don't think they are anything special compared to other manufacturers, but it is a starting point.
https://www.mdcexports.co.uk/product/ca ... at-basket/

The one other thing I will mention, and while it may only be an internet urban legend I have heard it a couple of times, be very careful if you opt for a front opening carrier. There are reports of ones where the notches that hold the door in place aren't long enough, and the flexibility of the plastic used to make the carrier is such that when you have a heavier cat in it, it can flex in such a way that the door comes open or even off. The one story told of it happening just as the owner was leaving the vets and the cat ran straight into a busy road, like i say, maybe an internet horror story, but it would make me wary of any front opening carrier.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

I also vote for the wire mesh basket with plastic floor, although the wicker basket with steel grill door I bought for my first cat Sally some 40 years ago has proved quite durable as well.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Ruth B wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:37 am The one other thing I will mention, and while it may only be an internet urban legend I have heard it a couple of times, be very careful if you opt for a front opening carrier. There are reports of ones where the notches that hold the door in place aren't long enough, and the flexibility of the plastic used to make the carrier is such that when you have a heavier cat in it, it can flex in such a way that the door comes open or even off. The one story told of it happening just as the owner was leaving the vets and the cat ran straight into a busy road, like i say, maybe an internet horror story, but it would make me wary of any front opening carrier.
It's not urban legend, it' happened to my friend - she was bonkers anyway (and the cat was fine, before anyone thinks I'm making light of it) but she rushed into the vets shouting "Help me my cat's been run over I've got an appointment!" to the bafflement of all in the waiting room including receptionist.

Believe it or not my small first cat kept her cardboard carrier her whole life, 16 years, until a found cat was put in it for 10 minutes to go and have his chip read and sliced it open with one claw. Security is very much subjective.

Despite having very little space I keep the carrier in the living room as part of the general household, under the cat tree, complete with a cushion and catnip toy. Boo used to sleep in it sometimes. Molly doesn't, but it is always there and therefore is not a scary thing when I have to put her in it.
Oddcat
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Oddcat »

Thank you for your replies, it looks like the wire type is definitely the way to go.

I've worried about our plastic front loaders for a while, and yesterday I was proven right. The bit where the metal door goes into a hole in the plastic case just snapped off, a whole chunk of plastic, with the door still attached to it. Which left the door secured in just three corners and leaving a perfect sized gap for a cat to squeeze though. Thankfully we hadn't left the house yet, I dread to think about that happening away from home!

So it will be great to have a secure carrier, it's stressful enough taking them to the vet without also worrying about an escapee. I shall invest in a good quality wire type top loader, thank you again for your advice.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

MDC are the main brand for wire carriers and traps and do help charities. If you wanted to stick with plastic, I think this kind of door is the most durable of the ones I've used (they did used to make one with a little door at the top you could open to pacify your cat, but I have had them try and escape from that!) https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-2 ... 18&sr=8-24 Top openers are also good for nervous cats as certain things can be done without them being taken out of the carrier.
Oddcat
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Oddcat »

Thanks Booktigger, I've just ordered a MDC carrier from the PDSA website. Their price was great, and hopefully it'll help the charity a tiny bit too.