Just when everything seems fine something terrible happens :( Mila might die

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Just when everything seems fine something terrible happens :( Mila might die

Post by Joe_Danger »

That's very interesting, maybe that's why she learned to respond to her name so early on.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Just when everything seems fine something terrible happens :( Mila might die

Post by Joe_Danger »

I'm sorry to be a bother, but while the cats BEHAVE well, I can't help but take note of the downright unhealthy amounts of water Mila consumes, even after eating wet food, so we all know what that means I believe :(
I was really hoping she'd live past 10, heck her mom was apparently 14 when she had her, but sadly that won't be happening now. She is 7.5 now, so she probably won't make it to 10 given the care CRF cats get here.
I'm 90% certain she developed Chronic Renal Failure from the heatstoke, if only the damn repair service came sooner, they fixed the AC yesterday but the heatwave is over.

Edit: On a more positive note, all three cats warmed up to Spaska :)
Here's Mila trying to get in on some Royal Canin Kitten
IMG_3354LR.jpg
it's wonderful seeing all 4 cats coming together, gathering together for food and everything
just amazing
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

Can you get renal food there? It can make a huge difference. It may mean microchip feeders to prevent her eating the other cats' food but it is a simple intervention that can greatly increase length and quality of life for cats with CRF
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

microchip feeders I've never seen here but sure, we have renal food I used it with my previous persian, Anastasia.
My vet also has some pills that supposedly slow down CRF in both cats and dogs even if they're on normal food from what she told me once.
I still hold out hope that it might be a temporary thing, but given the amounts of water she consumes even now when the weather is cold...yeah it's not looking too good at this point, hope I'm just overreacting tho.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is a temporary thing, and i'll mention that when Blue, the Ragdoll we had before had bad teeth that caused his kidneys to suffer, but even without any special food they did recover, which was shown in the regular blood tests he had for the next 2 years, so it can happen if the damage isn't too bad and is due to strain from something else, (in Blue's case the infection in his mouth). Drinking plenty is also a good thing when the kidneys are under stress as it means they don't have to work as hard to filter out all the bad stuff, so Milla knows what is needed and is doing the right thing. Finally i will add that when i took in my Mothers old cat when she had to move into a nursing home, I noticed not only how much the cat drank and how often we had to fill her fountain up, but also how much was in the litter tray. Even when she was confined to the room by herself so no other cat could use the tray, it would need emptying 3 times a day as she had filled it with pee. and while not the biggest tray it wasn't a small one either (about 16 x 12" or 40 x 30cm and filled to a depth of about 3" or 7cm), the litter wasn't quite one big clump, but it was very close. She was 17 so I knew kidney problems were likely, but when she went for a blood test towards the end of her life, it showed her organs, including the kidneys, were fine, the vet actually said they were the type of results they would have expected from a cat 10 years younger, (her blood counts were another matter indicating there was a bigger problem somewhere), so whether she just enjoyed drinking, or whether by drinking that much she had managed to maintain her kidneys I'll never know, but maybe it will give Milla a bit of hope, drinking a lot of water isn't always unhealthy, it might be the best thing she can be doing.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Have your Persians been tested free of PKD? Polycystic Kidney Disease - genetic, dominant but some cats with the gene can live normal lives without cysts or with cysts not causing symptoms.

Most likely as Ruth says dehydration from the heatstroke would have caused them to struggle for a bit.

But even in the worst case scenario, CKD isn't the drama it once was. My first CKD cat was diagnosed at age 8 and had 8 more happy healthy years on the only renal food available at the that time which was not nearly so sophisticated as they are now.

Give her some time to recover before making big changes, you may find it all passes in a little while and if not then you can get a more accurate picture of what's going on. Don't panic.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

yeah no PKD i make sure to test for that, even Anastasia before them had no PKD yet she developed CRF at age 5 and the vet was very puzzled.
I know Chronic Renal Failure isn't that big a deal if the cat is cared for properly, but here vets refuse to give them those under the skin IV fluids you need to administer in the back/neck I've seen videos on youtube, no vet wanted to do that for Anastasia and they kept insisting it's the same thing as regular IV and how it could fill the cats' lungs with fluids if given too often.
I kept explaining to vets that I read and watch videos about it online and they would just tell me not to read so much on the ineternet.
Other than the special food, vets here refused to do ANYTHING else for her and we're talking multiple vets at multiple clinics here.

Eventually Anastasia developed pankreatitis and died form that in 2014

So while CRF may not be that big a deal in the 1st world, here vets just don't seem to want to use any new techniques, methods or discoveries to help cats with the condition.

Thanks for all the support everyone :) Hopefully Mila is just drinking so much to fix herself up
Thanks
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Sub-Q fluids are rarely used in the UK either, but cats do pretty well on a suitable low phosphate diet and phosphorus blockers where necessary.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Hopefully Mila's kidneys are fine and if not maybe the vet is going to be able to manage her just fine, after all it's been years since back when Anastasia got her CRF :)
Thanks for all the encouraging posts guys, it really helped...man this was a weird week with the heatstrokes and everything but for now everything is nice and stable.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Glad to hear things are settling, and that PKD is ruled out. Just to back up fjm I am also in the UK and on my 3rd CKD cat, I have never and most likely would never give them sub-Qs. Renal diet should keep most CKD cats happy for a good long time, I say most because in some cases they progress rapidly or start so young that diet isn't enough. A lot depends on your outlook and your views on intervention, too. My personal view is that a cat 15 or 16 years old doesn't need to be interfered with too much, whereas a young cat like Mila has much more good quality life to look forward to and I might be prepared to put them through more discomfort for the benefit. That is a judgement call for each individual owner and cat though.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm another one who wouldn't be too bothered by the lack of sub-Q fluids, I've had 3 cats with CKD, and one who had to have a kidney removed, we briefly did medication with Buster, as the vet felt he needed support to help his remaining kidney, ironically I ended up changing vets, the new one asked me to stop them and test him after a month, and his kidney function was better without it. Lucy is my youngest cat with it, she was only 9 when she was diagnosed 5 years ago, and despite developing idiopathic hypercalcaemia (IHC) 15 months later is still doing well - cats with IHC aren't supposed to have any renal food, so we manage both her conditions with a mix of renal, senior and adult wet food and renal dry, I couldn't tablet her daily, once a week is hard enough. She did have sub-Q fluids for her IHC initially, we were offered something called a button (kind of like a port to put the syringe in) inserted to do them at home myself, but declined as she wouldn't have been able to go out with it in place, and she was also recovering from having part of her hip removed so needed the exercise to gain muscle strength (plus she'd have hated it, and a grumpy Lucy is aggressive)
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Weird thing just happened, Mila was grinding her teeth again, this is how this whole mess started in the first place.
I took her temperature and it was normal 38.5C and she behaves normally too
I suspect a sore tooth or gums, but the vet didn't find anything last time, she only grinds her teeth when she has hair or something lodged in her mouth which wasn't the case now.

Of course reading online leads to "it's leasons on the brain, tumors and cancer" what's the point of reading any articles on anything ever when every symptom ever leads to cancer.
I'm going to have to take her in tomorrow, again, but if the vet didn't see anything off in her mouth last time I doubt they will now.

I've known this cat for 7.5 years, she never once ground her teeth unless something was stuck
hopefully it's nothing but I'm not so sure

sorry if im overreacting but she has never done this for no reason at all

EDIT: Looked at her mouth this morning, I couldn't see anything, one of her teeth is kinda darker but that's all.
She does seem to be in pain from the mouth tho because when she tries to eat she eats/chews slower than usual, but I'm not sure.
The vet said to take a wait and see approach and not bring her in, she thinks it might be some kind of irritation from the high temperature she had and all, but Mila was perfectly fine until last night.

The vet also suggested it might be stomach acid, but either way to take a wait and see approach
They did examine her mouth last time and found nothing
I compared it to the other 3 cats and it seems fine to me as well
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Dang, seems Mila has a bad tooth, maybe that's why she ran a fever and it wasn't a heatstroke at all
So she tried eating dry food now, she is clearly hungry but afraid to eat, she put one kibble in her mouth and it clearly hit the bad tooth because she koncked the bowl with her head and got scared.

I've had cats my entire life never had one with a bad tooth before
She is 7.5 not even old, but now, if my observation is anything to go by we're dealing with a bad tooth or at least something painful in her mouth, I think it's a bad tooth tho, hope it's that darker tooth and not one of her fangs
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Yeah, so this is more serious than we thought.
I knew something was off, you see Casper also developed this extremely loud purr so I sent my vet a video of it, tho it's only in the beginning of the video and later in the video
https://youtu.be/5Y7hwtnJGuc

The vet checked Mila's mouth, teeth, gums, everything is fine
so he went and examined her lungs and sure enough there's an issue there, both her and Casper caught a virus but the vets can't say for sure it's from the kitten because the kitten was healthy when they gave it a detailed check up and it's still healthy and so is Kala, who interacts with the kitten the most.

So Mila and Casper caught some kind of a virus and it hit their lungs, this is as bad as it gets.
The vet prescribed some more serious antibiotics and we'll see if they get better, he believes they'll be just fine.
We're not to put the kitten or Kala on these antibiotics because neither of them show any signs whatsoever

Mila apparently has a strapped throat and that's what hurts and prevents her from eating

Sorry I am such a bother guys but this has been going on for a week now, one thing after another.
My friends constantly bring new kittens home, sick kittens and what not and none of their domestic cats have ever caught anything.
We bring one home and now this mess started, but the vets insist it's probably not from the kitten

EDIT: forgot to add, the vet also prescribed some immune system boosting capsules for all 3 adult cats they're to take for 10 days straight.
If Mila doesn't get better in 3 days or so she is to be put on even stronger anti biotics.

guys how serious is this?
the vet didn't identify the virus just said it's a virus of some kind
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Oh no, at least both are getting treatment and fingers all crossed in hope they pull through quickly.

'Its a virus' does seem to be medical speak for 'they have an infection and we don't know what it is' and as there are very few antiviral medications there is often little point in identifying it as there is no specific treatment they can give except to treat the symptoms. Antibiotics won't help with a virus infection itself, but are often given to help treat any secondary infections that might walk in while the immune system is busy fighting off the virus.

I don't know about strapped throat but I have heard of Strep Throat, so I'm wondering if that is what was mentioned. Strep Throat does seem to fit the bill, it is a bacterial infection (Streptococcus) of the throat that can get into the lungs, and worse case scenario cause Pneumonia as fluid can build up in the lungs. If it is Strep Throat then as it is a bacterial infection the good news is that the antibiotics will be effective. The list of symptoms also seems to fit, pain, coughing, fever, lethargy, difficulty in swallowing, and as mentioned Pneumonia, it can also cause kidney inflammation which would account for the increased fluid intake. On a good note Strep Throat does respond to treatment and cats will normally recover from it within 2 to 3 weeks.

Other things to note. Cats can be carriers, being infections but displaying no symptoms themselves. there does seem to be a link to the Herpesvirus, which is common in cats and can activate Streptococcus if the bacteria is already present, Herpesvirus is often picked up by kittens while in the womb and many can carry it never showing any symptoms. Being an upper respiratory infection good air quality is essential. There is a new test available for the infection, but due to it being a recent development, it is still rare for vets to have access to it (that is referring to the US, i would guess it is even rarer in the UK and where you are).

So I guess it may just have been a case of really bad luck. While not certain on this, i have always been lead to believe that Persians are more prone to respiratory problem than some breeds, so your kitten introduces something that your cats are susceptible to, at a time when the air con is broken meaning air quality isn't as good, and stress levels go up due to the heat, meaning the immune system goes down a bit. It does read that it isn't passed on by air born droplets, but by contact with contaminated surfaces such as sharing food bowls, but seeing as they have already contracted it, i don't think you need wory about quarantining anyone.

Maybe I'm wrong and your vet did say Strapped Throat and it is something else entirely, but even so with treatment and care I'm sure they will all pull through. Its worrying when they aren't well.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Of course I meant Strep Throat, why would I spell it like that, man I can't think clearly it's all so much stress.
The cats have always had lung issues, Kala in particular so we're hoping she doesn't get worse too, for now she is not affected by this.
All three cats, Mila when we adopted her already came with some kinda virus, she'd close one of her eyes and her nose and lungs would get stuffy. I warned my vet about it and not to mate her with her male and to just get her fixed but she didn't take it too seriously and until now it was rarely an issue. She had an episode several years back and so did Kala but that was it.
They've been carrying this virus with them for years but it never spiraled out of control and I thought since they are adult cats now it wouldn't do them any harm and now this happened.

A couple weeks before the kitten arrived one of Casper's eyes got a bit leaky but it was quickly sorted out, it also happened last year, normally his eyes are fine.

I hope this won't end in all my cats dying
I'm too stressed out and exhausted from stress to think clearly right now, just when I thought everything was fine there keep being more and more problems I find rather difficult to handle emotionally right now.

Sorry for beng a bother and thanks for the wonderful support.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Its not a bother and I know how stressed you must be, i'm bad enough with one old and ill cat, i can't imagine what you are going through with 2 young ones that aren't well. it is always good to talk, and we are more than happy to listen and offer advice where we can.

As for Strapped Throat, I blame auto correct, it always comes up with daft things like that.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Thank you so much Ruth, you've always been so supportive over the years :)

Mila definitely has a lot of trouble eating/swallowing yet she is hungry and wants to eat.
Dry food, even wet food or white chicken meat are all out of the question, she had to lick mashed food in order to get some food in her and even that was very painful for her, when she has to swallow you can tell she is struggling.

Her purring also changed and now sounds very similar to that of Casper's just not as incredibly loud.
This has been going on for years man, I remember in 2018 I alerted my vet that Mila's voice changed, she even puked some kind of a bloody slime thing which freaked me and my grilfriend out big time, but the vets didnt think it was a big deal.
I don't think we've had any major problems since.

I hope both Mila and Casper pull through and Kala and Spaska don't get affected by this.
Poor Spaska, the kitten is legit concerned about Mila, she keeps checking on her and what not and Mila doesn't even hiss at her anymore.

I wish I knew if everything would turn out ok
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Well now I'm in full on freak out mode
I tried reading online about streptococcus and from what I could understand from these convoluted articles the type that manifests with bronchopneumonia which is what my cats appear to have is often FATAL.

so..this means no matter what we try, antibiotics, immune system boosters and all the cats could all end up dying over this bacterial infection? They've had lung and upper respiratory issues for YEARS how did it happen now, it actually started happening before the kitten arrived come to think of it but we assumed it was just their upper respiratory stuff acting up

now the kitten is fine but it mgiht die too at this point im freaking out sorry

EDIT: There's no way we can manage separating the cats, keeping them in cages, we don't have such room or the ability to organize all that, we can't keep the house spotless clean and bleach everything everywhere, we've never been an overly clealiness focused family, we keep the hosue clean but like regular clean.
This is all more than we can handle

Should I give away the kitten? I know where they'd take it, there's a woman who wanted it and she takes good care of cats?
This is a bacterial infection it says it can come back even after being treated so are we going to deal with this perpetually? forever? until the cats die?

The more I read the more I'm utterly losing my friggin mind
https://wagwalking.com/cat/condition/st ... -infection

tried reading that
tried reading other stuff

this is more than we can handle

how come my friend brings all kinds of super sick kittens home all the friggin time, doesn't get vaccinated from corona, never wore a mask, never socially distanced, doesn't give a darn about anything and NOTHING ever happens to him, same for this frend of his who has a bunch of cats, they bring home a ton of sick kittens don't even separate them nothing ever happens.
We bring home one kitten and now all my cats are going to die
I've been keeping myself socially distanced, wearing a mask outside, got myself vaccinated and everything right and proper and now over a SINGLE mistake, a kitten all cats are going to die :( im losing my mind here
I love the kitten to pieces but what is going on, my vets don't run tests, they saw Mila's throat and that was it.

i don't know what to do im so lost and alone in this
im freaking out sorry
it's horror

EDIT: People say you shouldn't read articles and stuff online in situations like this, but those articles are there for a reason.

Right now I'm freaking out over the following

- This streptococcus thing can kill my cats
- it can cause meningitis
- it can even transfer to humans
- there's no way for us to keep the house spotless/desinfected
- there's no way to separate the cats
- this is all too much, more than me and my family can handle physically and psychologically
- was the kitten the root of all this? But Mila and Kala have had lung issues and chronic upper respiratory infections forever, Casper too
- all these articles on streptococcus in cats are pure horror
- streptococcus can come back even after being treated, it seems you can never truly get rid of it, so now what?

when I search for

streptococcus treatment for cat

or

streptococcus in cats

usually you get simple articles that repeat themselves and that's it
this time around tho it's all so weird, like PDF articles, medial entries, all kinds of scary scary stuff
anything related to streptococcus in cats results in very scary and very odd search results yet my vets didn't seem overly phased or concerned
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

If it is Streptococcus Canis, the most common form in cats, the key thing to remember is that it is very treatable by antibiotics, which is probably why your vet is taking it so calmly. I would concentrate on nursing care - small frequent meals of an easy consistency, maintaining a comfortable temperature, medication strictly according to vet recommendations, etc - and try not to panic. It may be worth asking your vet to culture a sample to confirm exactly what is causing the infection, just in case it is an unusual strain.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Thank you so much
yeah I panicked big time because of all the scary stuff I read.
My vet didn't want to do a sample and even if I ask again they won't do it, they might if the current treatment fails to produce results.

Mila refuses to eat anything but she drinks chicken broth, I hope that's enough to provide some sort of nutrition as she won't take anything else, but she isn't lethargic or anything yet, she behaves perfectly normally just has a strep throat. Doesn't seem lethargic, she is as alert and curious as ever, she is just afraid of eating because of the pain.

The fact that she has bronchopneumonia is what freaks me out, Casper too
they've dealt with that before back in 2018, then before that as well, Kala had it pretty bad but no cat ever developed Strep Throat.
2020 they had nothing tho, 2019 they were fine too IIRC
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I would try pureeing food with some of the chicken broth to the consistency of thin cream and if necessary drip feed her from a syringe - she needs to be taking in some calories as well as fluids. If you can find Lick-e-Lix treats where you are they often help cats start eating again - they are the consistency of yoghurt, so easy to lap and swallow. Good to hear that she is bright and alert - has the vet suggested pain relief as well as antibiotics?
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

No I wanted to ask for some kind of pain killers but he didn't suggest anything.
I saw Mila eating dry food on her own earlier, I couldn't tell if she swallowed any but she seemed to have maybe
she has plenty of mushy stuff to eat but even that proved too much for her, here's hoping she ate some dry food earlier.
she didn't seem to grind her teeth or anything afterwards so maybe the pain has eased up but if there's one thing I learned in this ordeal is to not let my guard down no matter what, just when I thought everything was over this mess started.

btw don't think i've seen those cat treats you mentioned here tho.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

The internet is a scary place, and the real art of using it is sorting out the information given and working out what the really relevant bits are, and which are just giving 'worst case' information. I have the advantage of coming from a medical family even if I'm not medically inclined myself, my Father was a Dentist, my Mother a Nurse, and my Sister is a biomedical researcher (she has spent the last 15 months helping go through various bits of raw data on Covid19 and the reaction to various drugs that have been tried and analyzing it in to something that makes sense, if I were to hunt through all the various scientific papers that have been produced this year on the subject her name would be on some of them), so it has given me some very good grounding in general medical information.

That it is Strep Throat is in my thinking better than just being a virus, Streptococcus is a bacteria, and it is one that is recognised and easily treated with antibiotics, we can not treat a virus (which is why Covid19 has been so devastating, it is a viral infection), it is also a type of bacteria which has several antibiotics that are effective against it. Bacteria are divided into 2 groups, Gram+ and Gram-, the Gram+ are rarer and there are far fewer antibiotics to treat them with, fortunately Streptococcus is Gram- (I did do a module on Microbiology while at University). I'm sure you mentioned Amoxicillin earlier, that is one of the most basic antibiotics used to threat Gram- bacteria, if it doesn't seem to work there are other stronger ones that can be moved onto. Most medical profesionals like to try the most basic antibiotic first as there is a good chance it will work and it means that the chance of bacteria developing a resistance to the more powerful ones is less likely as they aren't exposed to them regularly.

That website you linked was one i had already looked at, and while it had some useful information, I feel it is one that is scaremongering a little. it lists all those possible symptoms but give no indication of how many cats who develop Strep Throat go on to develop those symptoms. Some like the sinus problems, sore throat, and fever are going to be very common, others are going to be extremely rare perhaps showing in less than 1 in 100,000 cats who catch the disease, and probably in ones that didn't receive antibiotic treatment.

As for keeping the place clean, I don't think anyone who has cats is ever that house proud, but there are things that can be done to reduce the risk. A little extra diligence when it comes to litter trays and food bowls as they are the most likely places for cross contamination, if one does throw up somewhere then bleaching the area a little better than normal, that type of thing. Although to be honest, this far into the infection, with the symptoms showing I would have thought if the other two were going to get it they would be showing initial symptoms by now.

While chicken broth is a good option for Milla while she won't eat and getting fluids into her is far more important than food, if you want to ring the changes a bit, then perhaps getting something like mince beef to boil up for her, you might even be able to mash the mince up a little more for her to actually be willing to eat some of it.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

My grandpa was a heart surgeon/heart doctor, grandma a neuro psychiatrist worked as a psychiatrist and my aunt is a neuro psychiatrist who worked as a neurologist her entire life. During my first college, psychology, I had excellent grades in Physiology and genetics, also during high school biology was one of my strongest subjects so I have a pretty good grasp on this stuff but...man it's scary and then some, especially that site :)

Mila was so bad last night she couldn't even swallow this chicken paste/spread let alone anything else and that thing is just smooth mush, all she has to do is lick it up, she did have some at around 9PM or so, then again at 11PM but she couldn't after that. I REALLY hope she swallowed some dry food earlier when she went to eat it on her onw, it looked like she did so here's hoping for the best.
I know she has to get some food inside her and I'm doing my best

and yeah about cleaning and stuff, what you suggested is what we do by default so if that's good enough that helps ease my mind a bit, the internet made it seem like I'd have to move to a different house while this one is burned to the ground lol, jesus, in fact one article suggested as much "have your family move while you and your cat are being treated" how do people pack up and move away so easily o_O
Or disinfect their houses as if it's nothing or up and start turning the house upside down for a thorough cleaning something we normally do once or twice a year, you know like spring cleaning and stuff.

btw are bleach based products safe for cats?
this is what we normally use for cleaning
http://www.madel.net/en/product/pulirap ... 750-ml-en/
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I can't really say about that one, the only one i could find that showed more details ended up to not have those details in English so I couldn't read them. What I can say is that if it removes limescale it is acidic, so you need to make sure you don't get it on your or the cats skin directly, and if you do wash it off well. As long as you rinse any residue off with water afterwards I think you should be fine, but it might be worth checking with your vet as to whether there are better options available.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Good news is, Mila had some sour cream all by herself a few hours ago and just now Kala was begging for wet food, I filled Mila's platter the most hoping against all hope she'd eat and she ate it all up without issues.
It was Felix, either chicken or salmon I honestly didn't see which one I picked but either one works, Mila LOVES Felix...problem is starting February or so it's been giving her the runs so here's hoping it won't happen this time, we'll know tomorrow, even if it does, hey, she got normal amounts of food in her today.

I am not going to celebrate too soon tho, I fear we have a long road ahead of us and the illness might repeat once her therapy is over in 15 days.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Excellent news that she is eating - it sounds as if she is on the road to recovery.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Great news that she has started eating, hopefully it means the medication is working and her throat a little less inflamed and sore. We'll keep all paws and fingers crossed here that this is the start of the end of the stress and illness and they are all on road to recovery.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Thanks, Mila is still terrified of eating from food bowls but she does eat dry food if you hold it in your hand.
I was giving her some RC Kitten earlier and she gulped it up good without issues or so it seemed to me. I'm going to be feeding her kitten food for a week or so unless she herself goes back to the normal Persian food because this one is smaller and easier for her to swallow and chew it seems, plus she loves it.

She also went an ate a bunch of her own from the plastic container we keep dry food in lol, that shouldn't have happened if she has a bacterial infection but it happened before I even noticed it so there's that too.

Mila is definitely afraid to eat, but she doesn't seem to be in pain when swallowing anymore so here's hoping for the best, I have a nasty feeling things will turn worse before they get better because this whole ordeal has been a mess but then again, if the vet put her on immune boosters and long term antibiotics from the start we probably could've avoided this.