Advice on microchip operated catflaps - brands/models

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
VanessaVC
Frequent Cat Chatter

Advice on microchip operated catflaps - brands/models

Post by VanessaVC »

Hi
I have just had my young cat neutered and microchipped (he is 5 months). He is big and bold and I think ready to venture outside. We have been playing together in the garden under my supervision but I think it's about time to introduce the cat flap.
I have been thinking about the microchip operated ones as I don't want all the neighbours' cats in here, and I also don't really want him in a collar. So what microchip operated catflaps can you all recommend? Preferably around the £50 mark - give or take?
Thanks
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Advice on microchip operated catflaps - brands/models

Post by alanc »

What you need will depend on the size of your cat. I have a Sureflap Pet door which has given good service for the past 8 years, and which is large enough for my Maine Coon, Tilly. They are not cheep, but worth it. I think you will find the more versatile ones cost in the £80-£100 range. The extra features of the more expensive ones are however very useful, in particular timer operated locks so that you can impose a curfew.
VanessaVC
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by VanessaVC »

Ooh a curphew? But how do you make sure your cat is in on time?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

The more you pay the more features you can get. Good ones can be locked one way so after a certain time they can come in but won't be able to go back out. Obviously never ever lock the cat outside.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

The timer can be set to prevent exit between set times - entry is controlled by the microchip. You can't make sure they are in on time, but you can make sure they don't go out again after they are in. In Tilly's case, I set it so she can't go out after dinner and she is very rarely late for dinner.