Senior Cat - but need another pet in my house

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Clarekuzniar
Frequent Cat Chatter

Senior Cat - but need another pet in my house

Post by Clarekuzniar »

So I have had my Garfield since he was 18m from Cats Protection, he's 15 now.

In that time we have only had maybe 6 months a long time ago where he was the only pet, for the last 8 years I have had two rabbits which I sadly lost this weekend.

I am really sad looking outside and not seeing anything in the garden, and worried that as it's only G again and he's elderly now that without another furry baby that when the time comes I will be totally lost.
I appreciate I cannot bring anything like a puppy into the mix but what could I maybe bring in that wont upset him too much?
I've had a gecko before which unfortunately didn't last long as he had an issue and couldn't eat properly, but I didn't like the jumpy things getting out although G used to catch them haha!

Thanks
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Senior Cat - but need another pet in my house

Post by fjm »

I think a dog or cat might be too much for him to cope with, but rabbits, guinea pigs or hens outside should not be too disruptive. Rats or gerbils indoors might also be possibilities, although they are short lived and perhaps not a good idea if Garfield still retains his hunting instincts. Or chinchillas, perhaps?
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Do NOT get another kitten or puppy
Cats don't react to young kittens the same way a human would, to them, they bring a lot of stress and cause a lot of anxiety, especially if they're older.
Knowing this I still adopted a kitten we found on the street and Mila, my 7.5 year old cat has not been having the best of times, granted it could be worse but it's not advisable to adopt a new kitten much less a puppy with an adult cat in the house.

Kittens usually have endless amounts of energy, they constantly play, run around, mess with the adult cats. All this can and in most cases does cause severe stress in adult and even more in elderly cats.
Don't think about how you'd feel when your cat goes but think about how the cat feels and about the peace it needs.

Some people adopt two kittens to avoid them pestering the older cat/s in the house but that's no guarantee either.

I think you should enjoy the time you have with your elderly cat in peace.
Clarekuzniar
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Clarekuzniar »

Please calm down lol I did say I appreciate I cannot bring a puppy or kitten into the house, hence why I asked if there was any other animals that would not cause him stress.
Update haven't got anything yet but was offered to rehome tortoise!