Cat Grass ?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Cat Grass ?

Post by nanny pamy »

is it worth buying cat grass which is advertised on amazon and says is good for cats digestion. (sorry I cant spell that) :roll:
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat Grass ?

Post by Kay »

it's oat or wheat seeds, and you can buy them very cheaply on EBay

I grow it through the winter, but during the summer I cut grass from the verge for them and they seem to prefer it - the new shoots of couch grass are the favourite - they like eating it from my hand rather than from the ground

mind you, they bring it up again almost as soon as they've swallowed it, so best given outside
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

As Kay says, it is just young wheat leaves. It might be fun to try, I did, but they seem to prefer couch grass and that grows just about anywhere (unfortunately!) :roll:
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

I,m ashamed to ask this but what is *couch grass*. :roll: im learning something new here every day. I do have a garden by the way and its full off grass but ive never heared of couch grass.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

couch grass has broader leaves than lawn grasses, and tends to grow through other plants - it's the gardener's nightmare but seemingly a cat's delight

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profile?PID=283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site ... ?catID=682" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I have a tub of lovely cat grass in the garden and it's totally ignored by the cats - they'll chew the stuff on the lawn rather :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Couch grass - once seen never forgotten! It's straggly and a right pain in the bum. I wish my cats would eat the lot. That's a good link that Kay has given you. The other name, Twitch grass - well that's what us gardeners do when we see it coming back for the umpteenth time! :lol:
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutsFriend »

My cats have grass from outside as well. We grow it in the winter for tummies.
Catnip plant is growing outside but I can't keep it over winter so it is dryed stuff for them then. Catnip is good for tummies too.
Jill
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

do your cats eat catnip then? mine will lie on it and roll in it but I've never seen them chewing on it - which is probably just as well as at the moment it's flowering and full of bumblebees
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutsFriend »

My old cats eat the buds.
The young cats play and roll on it.
A healing herb book said it helps their tummies when the eat catnip.
Good for you too, have it in tea. I never did. Sounds not right. The guilt alone would get me.