Advice needed about vet's findings

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
honeydish
Returning Cat Chatter

Advice needed about vet's findings

Post by honeydish »

Good Evening
I am typing in a state of shock and immense sadness. Yesterday we tragically lost our smart, loving, loyal, funny 11 month old ragdoll (Cloud) to FIP.
I am looking for your advice about what, if anything, I should do about one of the vet's findings when she scanned Cloud - she said that he had thin heart walls, which was something he would have been born with. In her words he had 'broader issues than the FIP' - the message seemed to be that him dying now might be for the best.
At the start of the year, I was in touch briefly via Facebook with the people that got Cloud's sister and brother.
My question: Do you think I should message them saying it's possible that their kittens are at risk of FIP and heart problems?
I can't imagine how awful it might be to get a message like that from someone you barely know. At the same time, the welfare of the kittens in question is the priority. If there was a possibility they could avoid the suffering that Cloud went through, or could be screened and maybe treated for any heart issues, then that would be a positive outcome from our tragedy.
I could let the breeder know but what are the chances of her contacting these people with this kind of news?
I'm never getting a pedigree cat again after this dreadful experience, our next kitten or cat will be a rescue.
Thank you for any advice.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Advice needed about vet's findings

Post by fjm »

I am so sorry - FIP is a horrible disease, and you must still be in shock. Was it hypertrophic cardiomyopathy? I believe it is very common in ragdolls, and I would certainly tell the breeder so that she can test her breeding stock and avoid mating carriers. I think I would also warn the other kittens' owners. Although it will be an anxiety I think it would be much better to be aware of the possibility than to have it come as a bolt from the blue.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

I'm so sorry for your terrible loss, and such a young fluffball.

A reputable breeder should certainly want to know if any hereditary condition crops up in their lines and something like HCM ought to have that line shut down immediately, if breeders are serious about eliminating breed issues. Ragdolls have Persian in their ancestry and traditional lines seem to have quite a high level of inbreeding if you go back more than the usual handful of generations on the paperwork, so like Persians HCM and PKD are both common. Responsible breeders should screen for both diseases.

FIP is caused by a feline coronavirus that is rife among both domestic and wild cats the world over. In the vast majority it causes no significant problem but occasionally can mutate to a different form that causes FIP.

Before getting in touch with anyone though I would want more detail on the thin heart walls. The breeder I bought my Boo from as an 8 year old retired stud, and the breeder who originally bred him, were both sad, interested and grateful when I let them know he had died at the age of 15 and of what.

Edit - sorry I wrong about increased risk, I just read it's not due to heredity but the way breeding cats might be kept and whether sensible precautions are taken to prevent contamination.
honeydish
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by honeydish »

fjm wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:08 pm I am so sorry - FIP is a horrible disease, and you must still be in shock. Was it hypertrophic cardiomyopathy? I believe it is very common in ragdolls, and I would certainly tell the breeder so that she can test her breeding stock and avoid mating carriers. I think I would also warn the other kittens' owners. Although it will be an anxiety I think it would be much better to be aware of the possibility than to have it come as a bolt from the blue.
Thank you so very much for your kindness and advice. I think you are right and that the responsible thing is to notify both breeder and other kittens' owners.
honeydish
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by honeydish »

Mollycat wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:40 pm I'm so sorry for your terrible loss, and such a young fluffball.

A reputable breeder should certainly want to know if any hereditary condition crops up in their lines and something like HCM ought to have that line shut down immediately, if breeders are serious about eliminating breed issues. Ragdolls have Persian in their ancestry and traditional lines seem to have quite a high level of inbreeding if you go back more than the usual handful of generations on the paperwork, so like Persians HCM and PKD are both common. Responsible breeders should screen for both diseases.

FIP is caused by a feline coronavirus that is rife among both domestic and wild cats the world over. In the vast majority it causes no significant problem but occasionally can mutate to a different form that causes FIP.

Before getting in touch with anyone though I would want more detail on the thin heart walls. The breeder I bought my Boo from as an 8 year old retired stud, and the breeder who originally bred him, were both sad, interested and grateful when I let them know he had died at the age of 15 and of what.

Edit - sorry I wrong about increased risk, I just read it's not due to heredity but the way breeding cats might be kept and whether sensible precautions are taken to prevent contamination.
Thank you so very much for your prudent, compassionate advice. You are clearly very knowledgeable about these issues, and I am thankful to you for sharing your personal experience. I have been feeling ashamed for getting a ragdoll, (a feeling that my husband, who was always opposed to the idea, has helped to propagate) and you have alleviated these negative emotions. You have really helped me to make my mind up, and the first thing I will do is ask the vet for more detail on the thin heart walls. You have also helped me to see that something good can possibly come of this, which is lighting up this very dark time. Again: thank you for taking the time to respond and for your thoughtful and helpful suggestions.