litter trays

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

litter trays

Post by nanny pamy »

Hi, me again. Another question (hope you don't mind but im still learning). I have a large litter tray for Theo because he,s quite big. He,s quite happy with it. My question is am I doing right or wrong using the plastic liners in it. I noticed in the rescue centre they used ripped up newspaper and just a small amount of litter and my neighbour just puts litter in the tray with no paper or liner and told me the liners make the tray an *unnatural envirorment* for the cat. Now im totally confused. Hes been using it for 4 months now and seems fine. :roll:
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: litter trays

Post by Jacks »

Whatever Theo is happy with is absolutely perfect! There are no right or wrongs, only what a cat is comfortable with :-)

I tried litter tray liners and it was a disaster - ripped to shreds, all over the place - I tried shredded newspaper and a little litter with a new cat on recommendation - no use of the litter box. Gave up and chucked in some wood pellets and - hey presto, success in seconds. Now she's decided she likes the granular litter the 'big girls' use in preference.

The large tray sounds perfect - the larger the better, they can have a good scratch around and not end up piddling over the edge if they're large! :lol:

You're doing a grand job!
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

Awww thanks jacks. I feel im getting there. Ive just got the dilemer of indoor or out door cat now but ive just posted that on the other post about 1st time letting them out. Still not sure on that and if he disappeared I don't think hubby would forgive me. :roll:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Yes, I think you are doing fine as you are. We are all still learning.... As for tray liners - just another way of parting you from your cash! Ours prefer wood pellets, which is great as I don't like the other stuff! :D
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I've got two indoor and two outdoor litter trays and don't use a liner - never have. The main thing is to make sure you use a litter your cat will use :)
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Ditto Meriad, never used a liner. I tried it once but when they scratch around the liner just gets shredded and in a mess with the litter, the litter lasts longer without. More important to find a litter they like and does what you need it to do in terms of absorption and odour control.