Should I adopt a new cat whilst I am pregnant?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
ClipClop
New Cat Chatter

Should I adopt a new cat whilst I am pregnant?

Post by ClipClop »

Looking for kind advice please, as I am really tormented over this.

I lost my beloved cat two months ago. It was traumatic and terribly upsetting, and I can't tell you how much I loved him and miss him everyday. I've never been without a cat and am considering adopting another, however, I am also three months pregnant with my first child!

Baby safety issues aside (which I have researched thoroughly), I cannot conclude whether it is kinder to the cat to adopt one now so that they have time to settle in before the baby arrives, or to wait until after the baby is born?

I worry that if I wait until baby is here, I won't have time to establish that initial bond with the cat. And how long do I wait to adopt one? Until the baby is 6 months...1 year old..5 years' old?

But equally, I don't want to stress a cat out by bringing them home only to have a big change a few months later with the arrival of a baby. I know there are methods you can use to get cats used to crying babies in advance, but is this fair on a 'new' cat?

I would make a point of asking for a 'relaxed' cat, because of course you never know how cats will react.

As you can tell, I am really concerned about the cat's welfare. I love cats and have so much love to offer to one without a home. I'm just looking for any advice or experience from others who were maybe in a similar boat. Thank you in advance.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Should I adopt a new cat whilst I am pregnant?

Post by Mollycat »

Regardless of being pregnant, personally I need time between cats, time to grieve and for everyone in the household to settle into their new place in the family with one member gone. Time for the raw emotions to settle, time for the gut-wrenching guilt, anger and sadness to give me a little more peace. I can't ease the passing of one with the asrival of another - but we're all different.

Whatever you've read about any dangers cats pose to babies, I expect the main old wives tale is the smothering one, but I do have a personal family anecdote. My grandfather rescued a kitten from a roof and the kitten thought he owned my granddad, and didn't let him touch my grandmother at all. When my uncle was due they knew they could not risk the baby with such an intensely jealous and possessive cat, and they rehomed him. You never really know a cat's character until the change happens.

But especially if this is your first baby, I would definitely settle the baby into the family before carefully researching a rescue cat that loves children and will be gentle with your baby. Or a kitten that will see babies as a normal part of its world from the day you bring it home.