Milla is way too hyper, like extremely hyper

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Milla is way too hyper, like extremely hyper

Post by Joe_Danger »

Edit:
So...now this happens on a daily basis and even at night. :)
enjoy

http://s25.postimg.org/82a41w927/DSC03309.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s25.postimg.org/tnf6pi5sv/DSC03310.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s25.postimg.org/eu0j4qy1r/DSC03319.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s25.postimg.org/f2y3uoau7/DSC03320.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

------------
She is the complete opposite of Anastasia, who didn't want much cuddling and petting, but would always be by your side. She was a very well mannered, careful cat, she would communicate with body language instead of mewoing for the most part and clearly say/show what she wanted. It's no wonder losing her to me was like losing a little sister, my brain just can't tell the difference.
She never once knocked anything over, broke anything, touched food that wasn't hers or did anything that would show us she was a cat, she was like a well behaved human in a cat's body.

Now Milla...well she is the complete opposite, she is a hunter, a true cat, she catches and eats insects mid-flight, she is very vocal and eats quite a lot. She has no regard for her environment or worries about stepping on stuff that might break or not support her weight..which is increasing at a steady but i guess healthy rate lol
I love her a lot too, but she is very very hyper and I believe at this rate she is a danger to herself as some of the things she does not even my cat Leo who I had as a kid would do.

Anastasia never ONCE climbed up here or tried to climb
http://s25.postimg.org/82zdnh4nz/qweqw2312.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s25.postimg.org/os0tje19b/DSC03290.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You think she is after the stuffed Mario? No sirie, she just wants to stay up there, knock my games over or chill.
What really worries me is that I honestly have some very rare and very expensive video games and consoles, this is only 1/10th or less of what I own and it's only a matter of time before she starts climbing to where the systems are and starts knocking them over.

But that's not the scariest part either
Today she opened the balcony screen door, something Anastasia never did and went out on the balcony, had I not stopped her on time she would've found herself flying to the ground from the 4th floor and probably wouldn't have made it. Not every cat is Leo, that guy was study and strong.
I'm calling a door guy today to put a new, reinforced screen door if possible, something she won't be able to open...I have no idea how to deal with her so she doesn't hurt herself.

She is a very lovely cat, loves to cuddle, loves to stay by your side, I grew very very attached to her, but she is extremely hyper.
Last edited by Joe_Danger on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Milla is way too hyper, like extremely hyper

Post by bobbys girl »

I can't remember if you said how old she is? I do sympathise with you. My three girls all came to us as kittens and they were little terrors! Willow once **** on a socket and blew all the lights in the house.

Through generations, my family have had connections with the Pottery industry and we have several old pieces of china, probably not worth much in money terms, but priceless to us. Most are now in the attic or my mum's room - the only cat-free room in the house. They say there is no use crying over spilled milk, I wept buckets over a particular Coalport vase, smashed to pieces when Purdy climbed up the front of the very tall bookcase and knocked it off the top. :shock:

You have been very lucky in the past. I'm sure everyone has a similar story to tell. It is part of sharing your home with cats! As annoying as it can be, I would not have it any other way!

Get yourself a more secure storage system - one with lockable doors and see that man about fitting a screen to your door. Is there a way you could fit something around the balcony so you can both enjoy it safely?

Relax, she's a lovely, cheeky, normal cat!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Joe - just finished the last post to you, went into the bed room to find Purdy asleep on my nice clean bed surrounded by wet footprints, leaves and pine needles. :o Good job the washing machine has been plumbed back in! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Thanks
I don't find it irritating or annoying at all, I'm glad she is active because I know that means she is well.
Problem is she gets very rough and very aggressive when playing and forgets herself, so it's a bit...scary at times.
As for the balcony, I'd rather just have a new, more secure sturdy screen door installed than surround the entire thing with giant screens, that just wouldn't look right and it would make my living room very dark, I'm just not a fan of that stuff.
She is fine, she just needs to be a tad bit calmer and not play so rough, but she is a hunter, you can tell she is very good at it too. I'm just worried she might hurt herself.

As for how old she is
She was born March the 13th, suppose that makes her 5 months now.
First I thought she was 3 months wen I got her, then they told me when she was born, so yeah :)

In all honest, even if she breaks one of my rare consoles or something I'd be more worried about her hurting herself in the process than the dumb system....and the way she plays and has no regard for the environment around her that's bound to happen eventually.
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by KittyWitty »

Is she a moggie or a pedigree?

She is only a wee kitten - kittens are meant to be crazy! If you are worried about her play try directing the energy into interactive play with a da bird or a catit designs super circuit or cats meow. There are a TONNE of amazing toys out there.

You also need to stop comparing your cats the way you are. Milla is Milla, she will never be Anastasia so you need to accept that.
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

Also lock your stuff away if you are worried about them! What is more important another life or silly boxes full of wires and plastic?
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Where did I say that I expect this cat to be the same as the previous ones? I consider animals to be individuals too and understand they each have their own personalities and traits, quirks and everything, same as us people.
Also where did I say that I value the boxes with wires over the cat?

Seriously, don't put words in my mouth, ever.
It's insulting and offensive
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

dang this cat is extremely hyper and then some, sorry I lashed out on you Kitty, but I don't like it when someone thinks I put inanimate objects before living beings, just the kinda guy I am and I also tend to lash out at people online since I've seen my share of cyberbullying so I got a short fuse when it comes to internet arguments.

Either way, Milla is still as hyper as ever, which indicates a healthy cat sure but there is an issue that concerns me which of course vets in my god forsaken country happily ignore. When she gets overly excited or after rough play she pants with her mouth open, tongue sticking out but this panting lasts for a very very short time, I'd say less than a minute in most cases sometiems only about 5 seconds.
Sometimes she also does it when extremely excited even if she doesn't play rough, once she did it when begging for food.

I mean this cat can go for 5 hours straight of playing, hunting, pouncing and what not it starts at 6AM and ends at around 10 or even 11AM then she sleeps all day and behaves normally. I'm not happy about the panting. Her tongue isn't dark or sickly looking but I read that even intense red isn't a good sign, on the other hand the panting never lasts for long and doesn't always happen and apparently the combination of her being a flat faced, long haired cat and her extremely active behavior can lead to panting.
I asked several vets to check her over, their response was the same, not to worry and that they can't give her a thorough check up now because she is extremely hyper every time I bring her into the office, she isn't afraid mind you, just playful and extremely hyper.

What I do when I notice her panting or when I notice she is starting to breathe louder/harder since she shows NO SIGN of fatigue during these moments, is I grab her by the neck and that calms her down for a few seconds enough for her to catch her breath and the panting to go away.

I must admit, psychologically I am not ready to lose another cat any time soon and I got so attached to this cat from day one I think the last thing I need now is for her to have a terminal condition or some such.

I hate my country and my country's vets so much
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

panting is extremely normal - absolutely nothing to worry about and my scruffing her when she is doing this you are just setting yourself up for a cat that will not trust you being anywhere near her.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Oh I just gently pick her up by the neck like a mom cat would do, had no idea that was a bad thing.
She doesn't seem to mind and follows me everywhere regardless. It really calms her down.
But hey honestly appreciate the advice, I'm glad you told me early on.

btw are you mad at me for lashing out at you? I really must know
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

See the part about scruffing: http://www.catbegood.com/cat-behavior/t ... -training/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.catster.com/forums/Cat_Health/thread/615566" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

So...now this happens on a daily basis and even at night.

http://s25.postimg.org/82a41w927/DSC03309.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s25.postimg.org/tnf6pi5sv/DSC03310.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s25.postimg.org/eu0j4qy1r/DSC03319.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s25.postimg.org/f2y3uoau7/DSC03320.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If she rips those screens off somehow she will find herself flying 4 floors down and that's what worries me since I had those installed specifically to keep my cats safe.
The guy who made them says she has no chance of rippin em off since they're steel or something

Not complaining, just sharing
never seen something like this before...and I thought Leo was crazy, one of the cats I had as a kid
Cat
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Cat »

Oh Joe, I just had to post to say 'what an absolutely beautiful girl'!

My Scholes is an indoor boy who spends most of his time chilling except for his 'hyper moment' at about 11 pm each evening. Like Milla for you, he brings such joy into my world.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Thank you :)
she NEVER leaves my side, a truly amazing cat.
I'm so worried about her spaying surgery in a month or two whenever the time comes, as I explained before in another topic my vet insists on doing it after her first heat which I know is outdated but what can I do.
It's important to keep good relations with the vet.

I got so incredibly attached to this cat, yes I still miss Anastasia, a lot, but that has nothing to do with Milla. She truly is a WONDERFUL creature...tho she could stand to tone down the hyper a tad..you know just a bit :)
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

She is a truly gorgeous cat Joe :D

She is still very young. She has a lot of energy.

She will calm down. When she does you will kind of miss these mad days :roll:

If you are sure how secure the mesh is, could you use something else, such as metal rails to make sure she stays in? I am not familiar with the material your current screen is made from
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

What I do when my two do something I do not want them to do, I squirt them with a little bit of water from a spray bottle has stopped bad behaviours with my eldest, just the youngest that doesn't know when to stop :lol: :lol: the water puts him off for all f 10 minutes then back he goes... :lol: :lol:
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

I don't think I have the reflexes or stealth skills to squirt her on time and without her seeing me. The thing about squirting a cat is it has to be done very quickly and without them seeing you doing it or else they will just resent you over time.

All I really do with my cats is pick them up and put them elsewhere when they get into things I don't want them to. Anastasia learned in no time, Leo didn't care, Milla...is like Leo 2.5 a nice, upgraded, super hyper Leo who doesn't care about anything.

I did squirt her once btw, she didn't care...of course she didn't :)
Cat
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Cat »

Joe, your comment 'she didn't care...of course she didn't' made me laugh out load!

I've never squirted Scholes with water, mostly because I daren't think of his reaction. The few occasions a drop of water has touched him by accident he's yowled as if splashed with some sort of acid! He's an ex-stray, so I do wonder how ever managed in the rain.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Oh and I forgot to mention one other very funny thing she does.
She likes hunting everything and anything but if whatever insect is flying too high up for her or if it stands somewhere she can't reach, guess what she does.

She sits down, looks at it and starts mewing.
Dude, it's not going to come down to its doom if you mew at it.

Just now I'm sitting here, drawing whatever i have to draw for work, listening to some country music and what do I hear through my headphones? Milla mewing...I turn around and sure enough she is begging whatever that thing is up on the wall to come down.
Baggypants
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Baggypants »

Oh dear Joe - that meowing isn't at the spider, it's at YOU! She's saying "Dad! Quick - pick me up to catch the beastie!!" My partner has been known to fetch a kitchen chair so that he can stand on it lifting Bagheera up to the ceiling so she can catch spiders. In his underwear :lol: :lol:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Sorry but I just read that as 'Spiders in his underwear' :shock: :roll: