Cat sitter

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Lynne Phillpot1963
Frequent Cat Chatter

Cat sitter

Post by Lynne Phillpot1963 »

Hi,
We are thinking of a weeks holiday this year and not to sure whether to use a cat sitter or a cattery, would someone coming in twice a day be ok for a week or would it be too long and should we book a cattery. We booked a cat sitter last year while we were away for 2 nights and our cat coped ok with her coming in twice a day. Our cat Rummy will be 17 years in September and is an indoor rescue. Any replies greatly appreciated.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat sitter

Post by Mollycat »

For me it's home sitter without hesitation. A cat's home is her castle, she will be infinitely more relaxed about a stranger coming in twice a day putting down fresh food (and hopefully offering cuddles fuss and games) than in a strange place with strange people and surrounded by other cats.

Last time I ever used a cattery was in the early 90s, Misha was on special diet food which I supplied and they never reduced the bill, and when I went to collect her she hissed at the kennel lady (unlike Molly, Misha never hissed at anyone in her life) so that was the end of that. Ever since, 6 cats have had a friend or family member come or preferably stay.

There are sitters who will stay at your home, obviously at a cost and with terms, if there should ever be a holiday when she is older and less healthy. If she is independent, a neighbour can work fine. The way I see it, even without holidays, a neighbour with a key can be a vital reassurance.
Lynne Phillpot1963
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Lynne Phillpot1963 »

Thank you Molly, I think we will use a cat sitter again. The cat sitter we used has cats of her own and only lives 5 minutes away, she stays around half an hour at a time to play, groom and feed the cat and Rummy seemed very relaxed when we came back from our mini break.
Alexisandcats
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Alexisandcats »

Lynne Phillpot1963 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:33 pm Thank you Molly, I think we will use a cat sitter again. The cat sitter we used has cats of her own and only lives 5 minutes away, she stays around half an hour at a time to play, groom and feed the cat and Rummy seemed very relaxed when we came back from our mini break.
I wish we had a cat sitter like yours, your cat is lucky he has such person to come and visit him twice a day and take care of him! Going on a vacation becomes complicated sometimes because finding such person is always difficult.