Such a chatterbox!!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
RockRollDie
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Such a chatterbox!!

Post by RockRollDie »

Hi Guys,

First I want to say thanks to all the advice you guys gave a couple of weeks ago, Ruby has been with us two weeks now and had really come out of her shell, she still isn't 100% sure of the living room but explores or should I say "thinks she owns" the rest of the place.

She really is a chatterbox tho, it's like she really wants to hold a conversation and just can't get her point across. I really can't work out what she wants half the time, or if she actually even wants anything. The most noticeable is a "MAH" or "MAP" like sound, I've tried to see if its at certain times but there doesn't seem to be a theme. At first I thought it was when she DIDNT want attention, like after I'd walked up and stroked her she'd look at me and do it, but then she sometimes just walks up to me and does it.

The funniest thing is her run up noise, which my mrs has dubbed "the motorbike". When she takes a run up to jump up on the kitchen side (and note ONLY the kitchen side, no other places) she makes a really low (mrrrrrrrrr - UP) noise as she runs and jumps.

Any who. She's doing really well and we love her to pieces.
Helen
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Such a chatterbox!!

Post by Helen »

I love your description of the chatter - my boy is really vocal. My particular favourite is when he is frustrated t me having a lie in he says "mm-wah-wa" - I'm convinced he's calling me a lazy so and so!!
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by hgale »

My Denver does that low to high chirrup too! I think its a form of greeting. Strange that Ruby only does it when jumping in the kitchen though. The rest of the time, Denver sounds a bit like Simon's Cat - very high, short miaows. At least its distinctive so I know if he is around!
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Mine have quite a wide range of sounds.

Usually, when accompanied by behaviour, I have a good idea what they want!

They are such funny little creatures :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Mine make a huge variety of sounds between them - I do understand a fair number of them! :)