Cat flap

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Gripper13
New Cat Chatter

Cat flap

Post by Gripper13 »

Hi all first time on here I've recently installed a microchip cat flap I've had it on training mode so cats get use to it which they both have but upon setting flap to lock and only respond to there microchip so they can only come in and not next doors cat.
Just to say the flap locks with quite a loud noise.
My one cat Mila is ok using it with no problems at all but my other cat tas will go out with some hesitation but will only come up to the cat flap and look won't even try to come in any ideas how I can help him get use to it I've tried his food and treats but to no avail he does it if I help him but won't try on his own help please
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Cat flap

Post by papa cat »

My cat was almost the same when I installed one.
Prop it or fix it open somehow (or maybe even remove the flap entirely) then the nervous cat will get used to coming and going through the opening, then try setting it so that the 'click' when it unlocks is deactivated (I cant remember how that's done but it can be) then after a while set it back to normal.

In short take it in stages, get them used to going through a hole then pushing the flap, then being familiar with the sounds it makes.
Gripper13
New Cat Chatter

Re: Cat flap

Post by Gripper13 »

Thanks for ideas they are all ready use to the flap but when it's in locking mode making the noise one cat is OK with it but the other just won't use it do you think with one cat doing it the other will start to do the same