Any Ideas ??

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Amerififer
Frequent Cat Chatter

Any Ideas ??

Post by Amerififer »

Just noticed today that my 14 yr old rescue boy Spirit has two distinct areas, one at the base of his tail and the second a bit further up his spine that have become lighter. Nothing has changed,still himself in all cheeky aspects. Anyone have any ideas why? I've had cats most of my life and not seen this before.
coatchangeresize.jpg
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Any Ideas ??

Post by Mollycat »

Those look very similar to a short haired cat's mats. Do you brush him? If you brush or stroke him firmly, do those areas give up a lot of loose hair and a little dandruff? That is also a classic area where older, fatter or stiff cats struggle to groom properly. Even if you can't feel a bump, if the fur feels rougher when you run your hand over it, it could be where hair has naturally fallen out but not been combed or groomed out. That's my first thought.
Amerififer
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Amerififer »

Mollycat wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:01 pm Those look very similar to a short haired cat's mats. Do you brush him? If you brush or stroke him firmly, do those areas give up a lot of loose hair and a little dandruff? That is also a classic area where older, fatter or stiff cats struggle to groom properly. Even if you can't feel a bump, if the fur feels rougher when you run your hand over it, it could be where hair has naturally fallen out but not been combed or groomed out. That's my first thought.
Hmmm.. I don't brush him as often as I'd like.. being a rescue he's NEVER been fond of being brushed with anything.. Tried all different methods.. It does however feel a bit rougher than the rest of his coat.. Not loose hair or dandruff there that I can tell..
I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens and TRY to brush him more often esp in that area. :)
He is definitely a unique character.. :)
Thanks for the reply.. :) x
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Sounds like it could be. I have been working hard with Molly on accepting some help with grooming, she is 15 and podgy and has a thick coat, so she is vulnerable to getting these patches in the same places. I have succeeded in getting her to accept a toothbrush with quite stiff bristles, as long as I spend plenty of time letting her chew it and rub her cheeks and chin on it, then I can get a couple of strokes in down her back. Whenever I take her to the vets I take a good detangling comb with me and clean up her back and sides as much as I can. It's not ideal but it's a million times more than I ever expected years ago when I couldn't touch her at all.
Amerififer
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Amerififer »

Mollycat wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:55 am Sounds like it could be. I have been working hard with Molly on accepting some help with grooming, she is 15 and podgy and has a thick coat, so she is vulnerable to getting these patches in the same places. I have succeeded in getting her to accept a toothbrush with quite stiff bristles, as long as I spend plenty of time letting her chew it and rub her cheeks and chin on it, then I can get a couple of strokes in down her back. Whenever I take her to the vets I take a good detangling comb with me and clean up her back and sides as much as I can. It's not ideal but it's a million times more than I ever expected years ago when I couldn't touch her at all.
Ohh not tried grooming with a toothbrush..... ta much for the suggestion.
Spirit is 14 this year ,loves attention on his terms, loves to snuggle up. Hates being picked up...tolerates nail trims lol He really is a charachter.. Aren't they all tho?
<3
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

They certainly are! I don't trim claws but well done for getting yours to accept it. Doesn't have to be a toothbrush that's just what I had, but the idea was something small so not too threatening, with stiff bristles that can (once they get used to it) be pleasurable on the face where they like to rub anyway and yet strong enough to get through fur. I find a lot of purpose made pet brushes really just glide over the top of the fur without tackling the problem close to the skin. Ragdoll taught me a lot about brushing. He hated a brush but learned to accept a gentle combing even though it got deep to the skin, but it kept his coat nice and comfortable.

The trick is a tiny bit at a time, lots of praise and hand stroking as well, and listen when they tell you enough, then they can build trust in you that when they refuse you will listen and unpleasant things don't become a battle of wills. The lady I got Ragdoll from said I might have to scruff him sometimes to brush him ... no wonder he hated the brush! But gentle patient persuasion won over his cooperation with a different tool.