Not sure whether I should ask neighbours about their cat

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Vesper
New Cat Chatter

Not sure whether I should ask neighbours about their cat

Post by Vesper »

Hello,

I'm desperate for some advice on whether or not to approach a neighbour a road down from us about their cat.

We noticed her a couple of days ago outside their house and when she came up to say hello to us. My partner (studied animal care) noted that she was dangerously underweight. Thinking she may have been a stray he knocked on the door and asked if they owned her to which they said yes but didn't seem to care much for the cat.

We left after that but have been checking in on her the past couple days and it doesn't seem like she goes back into the house (i know some cats often dont) or is not let back in? There is no hint of a shelter/water for her in the driveway that she sits on. And due to the current rise in temp they've put out a large bucket for dogs to drink from but they've put nothing out for her which seems unfair? When I last saw her this evening her breathing seemed very laboured and she was not as perky as she was before.

I am worried she may be left outside on some of the hottest days this week. It also seems like she doesn't want move far from that driveway at all. She followed us for a few metres before heading back to the exact spot we saw her in and the few times a day we've checked in on her she's been in that exact spot.

Is this enough to go (edited) ask them about the health of their cat? If so, how is best to approach it? I don't want to cause ill feeling with my neighbour but I am concerned for the cat in this heat.

Any advice/tips are super appreciated
Last edited by Vesper on Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Not sure whether I should talk to neighbours about their cat

Post by susand »

Are you in the UK? If so you could report the issue to the RSPCA. I’d advise against speaking to the owners if you don’t know them very well. In my view it is unlikely they will change how they treat the cat on the unsolicited advice of a random stranger and you may bring an avalanche of unpleasantness down on yourself if they become hostile.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

I think I'd be more comfortable if you had said ask your neighbours about their cat, rather than talk to. The cat is free to leave, free to wander down the road in search of water or a new home. I am wary because I have dealt with cats that people have tried to help only to cause major problems and I'll mention a couple of examples -

1. A thin cat that rocked up outside my friend's house in the middle of the night, clearly upset and looking for help. My friend couldn't take her in so I took her home and immediately in the morning took her to the RSPCA, who examined her and told me she was almost certainly hyperthyroid and missing her meds, and very old. I asked if she was unclaimed could my mum have her, and was told if I handed her over I couldn't have her back and she would most likely be put to sleep as she wasn't really homeable. I took her away and we spent 2 days posting notices, knocking doors and asking around. Finally a man rang to claim her. I said oh thank goodness because of her meds and then the story came out. He had "rescued" her from outside her own home 3 miles away thinking she was neglected, when in fact she was just old and ill and enjoying her time outside her own home getting fusses from passers by. She was reunited with them, but only because she was lucky enough to go miaowing to my friend when I was there.

2. A taxi customer of mine had an elderly frail cat that used to love sitting outside in his garden - not even on public property. A neighbour reported the cat to the RSPCA who took the cat without serving any notices or even speaking with him, and euthanised the cat without further ado.

Please ASK them about the cat, say you're concerned by all means but ask if the cat is ok and see where you go from there.
Vesper
New Cat Chatter

Post by Vesper »

Mollycat wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:18 am Please ASK them about the cat, say you're concerned by all means but ask if the cat is ok and see where you go from there.
Oh yes this is my concern I don't wish to displace what could be a happy cat for no reason which is why I've asked for advice as I know situations can be different for every pet, and also whether or not what I've seen so far even constitutes as enough for me to ask. So thank you for the examples!

Reframing it as asking makes a lot more sense as I don't wish to give unsolicited advice and don't wish to come across as I am, it is not my pet at the end of the day. I am just concerned for the cat as she is underweight and seems to be struggling in the heat.

I think I may have been building up the potential conversation in my head too much when as you say it would be better to simply knock on the door and ask if the cat is okay.
Vesper
New Cat Chatter

Post by Vesper »

Cybercat wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:25 am I think the life and health of an animal is very important. If a neighbor is offended by this, then he is a complete idiot. Just do it politely and if he is a normal person, he will react to your words adequately.
You are right the health of the animal is important, I think I will try to politely ask if their cat is okay if she seems to be struggling when I next see her and go from there.
Vesper
New Cat Chatter

Post by Vesper »

I would like to say thank you truly to everyone who has commented so far. It has really helped me think about the best way to approach this. I know it may seem a bit silly but I am a very anxious person by nature so I tend to overthink alot. So I am truly grateful to those who have taken the time to reply.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Not sure whether I should ask neighbours about their cat

Post by Ruth B »

You could also consider putting a bowl of water out on your own property, if the cat is free to roam, and if possible something that could be used as shade in the hot weather, that way if anything was said you could just claim it was for any stray or wildlife that needed the water or shelter in the hot weather.

I will add that old cats can go very thin without there being anything really wrong with them except being old, my Tiggy was skin and bones for the last few years of her life, if anyone had picked her that cared about cats I'm sure they would have rushed her to the vets. As for my current cats, I'm seeing virtually nothing of my lad, he is spending all his time outside, I have a feeling he has a hidey hole under the bamboo beside the pond, about as cool as you can get. Some cats just prefer to be outside Last night I was actually watering the Lambs Ears and bark chippings in the area to help keep them as a cool area for the cats to go on.

I will add a thank you for caring about the cat, and hopefully you can have a good conversation with your neighbour, which may even lead to a positive outcome and a new friend.