Problems with rescue

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Saraht
New Cat Chatter

Problems with rescue

Post by Saraht »

Hi
Does anyone have any advise on the below?
I volunteer at a rescue, I also foster.
I’m having issues with the main person in the rescue who appears to not like me and has
taken my foster back for a medical appt that didn’t happen, just a way to get her back. (They know how much I love her)
Now they say I can’t have her back as “it’s good experience for her to live in different places”
When I said I’d adopt her then, this has been declined with “ no she’s not ready”
I believe the organisation main person doesn’t like me as I wouldn’t long term foster another cat.
Ever since things have been difficult.
I don’t believe this is good for the cat who has bonded with me, Plus they lied about the medical appointment to get her back, surely that’s not ethical? I truly believe it is a vicious way to punish me for not doing what this person asked…the cat is now without me and I can’t stop thinking about her being in a strange home again.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Problems with rescue

Post by fjm »

Is the rescue a registered charity, with trustees? Or some form of board of control? If so I would appeal to them, along the lines of "a possible breakdown in communication" and "very bonded with <cat's name> who has settled well" and "saddened not to feel trusted after so many years as a volunteer". If the person is known to be difficult they will be able to read between the lines; the key thing is to give a way out - "perhaps I did not make it clear that I hoped to adopt <cat> in due course" or similar. If it is a one person band I am not sure what you can do...
Saraht
New Cat Chatter

Re: Problems with rescue

Post by Saraht »

Thank you for the reply, it is registered, but ran by one person.
They are 100% emotionally abusing me, that if I don’t take the 2nd cat, I can’t have any.
I appreciate your advise and will go to the trustees.
It seems so unfair on the cat involved.