Is my cat turning feral?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Kithra
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Is my cat turning feral?

Post by Kithra »

Since Loki and I moved here a month ago his behavior has changed. Once he was accustomed to the new home he started going out. And he's staying out for a very long time. For example at 4 am Thursday morning he went out and came back for ¾ hour around 9pm then went out again. He was back Friday afternoon at 4pm and 9pm for half hour and then out again. Both times it seems just for a quick meal. It’s now Saturday afternoon and he’s still not home. He seems to just be coming back for the odd meal and his treats. On one occasion he was gone for 30 hours.

We live next to a couple of fields and a wild meadow garden. And, just once, I found a dead mouse on the doorstep, but that was days ago. Where we used to live he liked to go out during the night and then spend all day asleep in his favorite place on top of the wardrobe. He'd just come down for his meals, which were 3 or 4 times a day. He's only been going absent like this for around the last 10 days, and I'm wondering if he's becoming feral. He's neutered, (micro-chipped, fully vaccinated, and insured), and I'm getting worried he'll never be a proper indoor (mostly) cat again.

Should I worry, or is this normal because of the home move? What can I do to help him and make him stay inside more, as he used to? But I won't keep him shut in as that upsets him so much, (as it did when we first moved in).
Kithra
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Is my cat turning feral?

Post by Kithra »

He just came in quarter of an hour ago, had a meal, and is now asleep on top of the wardrobe in his usual preferred place. So I'll have to wait and see how long he stays at home this time. He really is a mad cat, LOL.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Sounds like this is a very happy move for him and he is loving his new home!
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by papa cat »

My cat is doing a similar thing.
After being an indoor cat for almost 9 years he decided he wanted to go out. A year on, he is out almost all day and night and seems to come in only to eat and to get fussed and petted. I know more or less where he is, laying in a sunny spot, or under the hedge at the back.
The weather recently has been nice but I anticipate that when it turns cold he’ll not be going out as much.
Kithra
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Kithra »

Since he came home yesterday, around 2pm, he's hardly gone out again except for 15 minutes around 10pm last night. Then he came in for an hour and went back out from around 11pm to 4am this morning. Since then he's stayed in again.

I'm not sure where he goes when he's out but probably into the fields. When it gets cold he'll still be going out as he's always preferred cold, wet, and windy weather and doesn't like much heat.

So yes, thank you, I'm sure he's enjoying where we live now.