Recent vet visit

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
200percentfeline
Returning Cat Chatter

Recent vet visit

Post by 200percentfeline »

Hello all I'm new to the forum. Came across site while searching for info on my Paco. He is a big fluffy cat I acquired from a tenant that was going to abandon him. As she received him from another tenant that abandoned him, I offered to see If I could find him a home. As it turns out Paco is a handful. He is half feral and I had plenty of wounds to account for. One of his issues he has diarrhea and consistently pukes. Had the vet look at him and check stool sample for worms, (none) but could not thoroughly examine as Paco went into feral mode and wouldn't come out of carrier.
As suggested by the vet, I could reschedule, and they will sedate him for the examination. Long story short Paco is back home and having trouble walking. He is improving but walking all scrunched up and goes 3-4ft then sits down. Really regretting putting him thru this now. All said and done the vet prescribed some antibiotics and some Hills canned food. Oh and a bunch of $$$. Are these walking issues normal after sedation and how long before it clears up if so?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Recent vet visit

Post by booktigger »

My Lucy was sedated for bloods etc earlier in the year, I did pick her up earlier than vets normally allow cats home, got her home about 12.30, was nearly 4 before she was walking normally and she wasn't back to her usual self till 6.30pm the following day, and like you, I did feel guilty about doing it to her.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

A cat that has bad diarrhoea might also have bad stomach cramps and be more comfortable in a hunched or sitting position. Also, it could be pain making him turn so wild so suddenly.

Hoping you can get to the bottom of his issues.
200percentfeline
Returning Cat Chatter

Thanks for the input. It's been 4 days now and he still isn't happy. My guess is there is pain where they injected him. As for the pain in stomach he didn't have these issues prior to vet visit. Just gonna give it some time and keep an eye on him. Too bad he went into feral mode the 1st visit and couldn't be properly examined.
200percentfeline
Returning Cat Chatter

Wanted to update and say Paco is doing much better. Is pretty much back to normal. Thank god.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

That is good news - it sounds as if it was a particularly bad bout.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Oh good, and lovely that you've taken him on to at least nurse back to health and rehome, not abandon.