For all those who feed strays

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

For all those who feed strays

Post by Mollycat »

Social media memories' gift today is one I need to share with you. Firstly to remind and thank all those who feed strays, who have all the patience in the world for the shy and traumatised, who foster and nurture and love unconditionally.

1391798_597902543606120_684128314_n.jpg

My mother found it and sent it to me 9 years ago, when Molly had been with me only 8 months. When I believed she hated to be touched, when simply walking into a room without her bolting was a great achievement, and I nicknamed her my indoor feral. This is for her, because now I understand so much more.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: For all those who feed strays

Post by Kay »

I'm not sentimental as a rule but that touched me. I still grieve for the fact that I only got to touch my two garden cats, as I thought of them, was when they were too frail to run away and I had to put them in a carrier so their lives could be ended peacefully.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: For all those who feed strays

Post by Ruth B »

I don't feed a stray, but he knows he can normally find something left down here.

The black and white still comes in once or twice a night, I catch him on the camera cautiously entering and heading into the kitchen, then perhaps making the most of a catnip sardine that is lying around before leaving. he is normally in for about 15 to 20 minutes, and it is only the camera and the empty bowls that tells me he has been in.

I have no problem with him coming in, grabbing a bit to eat before heading back out, but as i believe a couple of other residents in the area also claim to feed and look after him it makes it a bit difficult to know what to do for the best, so we carry on as we are doing. I don't want to step on anyone else's toes if they are 'looking after' him.

He has come in earlier a couple of times but the moment he hears any movement he dashes off back out. At least with the camera, I get a chance to give him a good look over as he comes and goes, and if he deteriorates or there is sign of injury then i might see what else I can do for him. If my three start to show signs of stress with him coming in, as they did when a couple of others were visiting as well, I can block off the cat flap at night, but I would hate to have to lock him out. My own cats' well being has to come first, and knowing how busy most charities are, if he is happy with life than I'm happy to let him come and go a bit.