licking eyes

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Helen
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

licking eyes

Post by Helen »

My little girl (14 weeks) Sky is obsessed with licking my eyelids. She doesn't just do it when she happens to be close but deliberately clambers up me to get to my face.

Has anyone else experienced this and any idea what the attraction is?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: licking eyes

Post by bobbys girl »

Purdy has a thing for Dave's face. She uses his stubble to groom herself and is quite put out when he has had a shave. But eyes? Could it be salt? :?
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by geckodiva »

When my girl Tat was young she used to wake me up in the mornings for breakfast by licking my eyelids. I think she was trying to open my eyes for me. This was mostly fine but occasionally she actually licked my eyeball which is a very strange feeling indeed.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Yeuw! :?
andtiggertoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by andtiggertoo »

Our Fred used to lick our eyelids to wake us up in the mornings when all else had failed. Worked every time because it's horrible!!
Helen
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Helen »

Ewwww not made the mistake of opening my eyes yet but it definitely is an addiction with her ! But licking eyeballs is definitely worse so I feel better - maybe it is the salt thing hadn't thought of that ...
magpi
New Cat Chatter

Post by magpi »

While eyes are the window to the soul, they are also kind of one of the grosser parts of our body. There are tear ducts - salt, oil ducts - goo, hair (eyebrows and eyelids) which means lots of trapped body dander/dandruff. There's crust after sleeping... you can have microscopic mites in your eyelashes... and if you're wearing makeup, that's even more powder, salt and grease. So.

While all the above suggestions seem plausible (wake up!!), it may also be that your kitty is just trying to help with grooming. It's very cute. (But eye infections are serious business so I wouldn't let her go to town on you...)
Helen
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Helen »

Hmm hadn't thought of it in that way but take your point - must admit can't stand more than a couple of seconds of it as it feels so weird !!