Reuse or replace ?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Reuse or replace ?

Post by papa cat »

I hope to get another cat shortly to replace Billy who was PTS.
Do you think it's all right to provide the new cat with Billy's previous things e.g feeders, bowls, water fountain, cat trees etc or will it detect the previous cats scent and be put off using them ?
I have a huge amount of things already and it would be very expensive to replace them, however I do have equipment and cleaning materials that I could use to clean them thoroughly.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Reuse or replace ?

Post by Kay »

I wouldn't hesitate to use what you already have - after all, rescues accept loads of used stuff. And I've always found comfort in leaving cat trees and beds where they are when I've lost their owners, in recogniton that another cat will use them in due course, because I'm a cat lover, and need a cat in my life.

I look forward to hearing about your new arrival in the future.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by papa cat »

I read somewhere else that cats can tell the difference between an old scent and a recent one.
So I am less concerned, as it maybe a few weeks until I get another cat.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Tilly is using the litter tray I bought for my first cat Sally over 40 years ago. Some of the cat beds date from Misty and Honey's days. There are also a few of Sally's toys still around! Cat flap and cat tree are new, though, as the old ones didn't survive Badger and Tilly's kitten hood.
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by susand »

I’m so sorry to learn about billy. As regards what to do about the cat paraphernalia, I agree, reuse. I do. I think after a few weeks the scent disappears altogether, so the new cat won’t even know another cat was around. Also it’s better for the environment as well as your wallet to reuse.

One thing though, you might find your new cat likes some of the cat things you have better than your old cat did and visa versa. There is a feather toy I’ve had for years that my previous cats didn’t really play with very much but Harvey loves it, whereas he never goes near the igloo bed that Walter adored. They are all very individual in their likes and dislikes, so look out all those bits and pieces in the back of the cupboard that Billy never took to, you might find your new cat thinks they are great.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I would say that if there was anything you especially associated with Billy it might be worth replacing that, but in general re using is fine. When Tiggy had to be pts there was one igloo bed that we did throw out, it had been hers and no one elses, I just couldn't bear to see it on the landing when she wasn't around, but the other beds that the cats shared were all kept. Getting rid of it was as much for me as for any cats comfort.

You might also find that having the old cat scent on things will encourage a new one to use them as they are replacing the old cats scent with their own and claiming the space for themselves. Problems can occur when they are fighting and using scent marking as a way to promote their dominence, but that isn't anything you have to worry about as the old scents are never going to be replaced so the new cat will know the place is all his/hers.
carlosbenini11
New Cat Chatter

Post by carlosbenini11 »

I believe that for a new cat you also need everything new